Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Samba share to be accessed by "My Network Places"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3

    Samba share to be accessed by "My Network Places"

    Hello all.

    I am a newbie, but I've been meaning to get my feet wet with Linux for a long time, so please bear with me.

    I have done an HD install of Knoppix 3.4 onto a machine which I intend to use as a simple SMB share for my parents small (3 XP workstations and a laptop) business. I would like this machine to simply appear in "My Network Places" and allow them to map it as a drive. Basically, they just need a place to dump files to a machine that isn't in the same part of the building, and we didn't want to pay for an OS and I wanted something that wouldn't need to be rebooted.

    The network has no WINS server, and IPs are assigned via DHCP on an 8-port cable router/switch. It's just a basic workgroup network, and I'd really like to leave it that way for them if possible. It's been hard enough getting them used to that.

    1) I cannot seem to get this (Knoppix) machine to appear in My Network Places. I can access shares on my XP machine from the Linux machine (via Konqueror), but I cannot access the Linux machine from the XP machine, even when typing the \\host\share into the address bar. The machines can ping each other's IPs, however, and the host name of the Linux box does appear on the router config page. The XP box just can't see the Linux box (the Linux box sees the XP box in LinNeighborhood as well). The Linux box accesses the Internet via the router without trouble as well.

    Following are my etc/samba/smb.conf file contents (abridged):

    [global]
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    load printers = yes
    guest account = everybody
    invalid users = root
    security = share
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = %h server (Samba %v)
    syslog only = no
    syslog = 0;
    socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = smbpasswd guest
    wins support = no
    wins server =
    include =
    name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
    dns proxy = no
    preserve case = yes
    short preserve case = yes
    unix password sync = false
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
    max log size = 1000
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix charset = iso-8859-15
    display charset = iso-8859-15
    dos charset = 850

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    create mask = 0700
    directory mask = 0700

    [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = yes
    write list = knoppix

    [printers]
    printer admin = knoppix
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = no
    path = /tmp
    printable = yes
    public = no
    writable = no
    create mode = 0700

    [ROOT_SHARE]
    path = /root/Share
    comment = /root/Share
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    wide links = no

    --Some of these lines I understand, some of them I don't. I realize that to be able to write to the share, I'll need to switch it from read-only, but right now I just want to get the XP box to see the Linux box.


    2) I would ideally like to share the root directory (or any directory, really) of a separate hard drive from what Knoppix/Debian is running from, but I have discovered that under normal circumstances one can only share directories in the user's home directory. Surely there is a way around this?


    I realize that the setup I'm proposing is not as secure or professional as would normally be desired, but I am the closest thing my parents have to an IT guy, and I live a few hours away. It just has to be set up in such a manner that they never really need to worry about it.

    I'd really appreciate your help and insight. I've been Googling for a week, but don't seem to be getting anwhere.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Samba share to be accessed by "My Network Places&qu

    Quote Originally Posted by kurtz25
    Hello all.

    2) I would ideally like to share the root directory (or any directory, really) of a separate hard drive from what Knoppix/Debian is running from, but I have discovered that under normal circumstances one can only share directories in the user's home directory. Surely there is a way around this?
    You can mount the drive in your home directory.

    open up a shell and type sudo mount -a /dev/(name of drive ex: hda1) home/knoppix/name_of_folder (correct me if I'm wrong)

    everything else I don't know.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    kurtz25

    1) You need smb4k for easier (gui ) to see your shared mnt point and easy mounting. Command: apt-get install smb4k.

    2) For windows to see linux shared, you need to create user account on your knoppix box (every user in every windows box). Command : adduser
    You can hide these users later on from your login manager if you want to.

    3) You need to create samba password for every user including you. This password must be same password that every user use to login to windows box.
    Command: smbpasswd -a *username*

    4) Open smb4k and scan for network or add i.p address of windows box. You will see shared files in windows and knoppix.
    Mount your knoppix shared.

    5) Open your network neighborhood in windows box....you can map the mount point if you want to.


Similar Threads

  1. Accessing Wireles Network "G"
    By n3szw in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 10:14 PM
  2. Samba Client - Does it "Auto Start"?
    By ELeahi in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 09:40 AM
  3. "No supported Network Card Found"
    By rayesteq in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 04:47 PM
  4. "No supported Network Cards Found"
    By Angryguy in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 01:48 AM
  5. "Error: No Wireless Network Card Found"
    By akira28 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 11:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00