Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: So close yet so far... Internet question

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35

    So close yet so far... Internet question

    Firstly I'd like to say thankyou to all those who have helped me before, I am getting pretty good at this.
    I am become a decent linux user slowly but surely I will get there. [getting a old Idiot's Guide to Linux and RedHat book has helped some, circa 1995. most of it still appiles]

    Anyways, my internet problem is that is "phases out" after abit of none use, like while I am working on a text file or playing a game of Pingus[tracked that down and installed it myself, along with FireFox] Go me!

    This also happens right after I switch to Linux from my WindowsXP. The only think that seems to work to get me back online it when I unplug the router for abit and plug it in again.

    [EDIT] And while I typed this is phased out too.

    Here is my stats on the network where I get my internet.
    Linksys Router 1 W/ FireWall
    Uplinked to Linksysrouter 2 W/O FireWall
    To my PC.
    My ISP has Dynamic IP. [Cable Modem, Charter, speed 786mb]
    I think and this is pure guess is that it's not quite set up to reaquire the connection under the new IP it's given.
    And this is my Config file for /etc/network/interface.
    Code:
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
    
    # The loopback interface
    # automatically added when upgrading
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    
    
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Thankou for you time and help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You need to run network card configuration. I believe you havent done that since your /etc/neteork/interfaces is empty.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35
    I can't run it, it's not there anymore, I updated and upgraded it to the current testing release.

    If it was that I would have not asked, that was the second thing I checked.

    How do I do it manuelly?[sp?]

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Get knoppix-netcardconfig from here:
    http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources/

Similar Threads

  1. Gateway Solo 2500 knoppix internet question
    By mwdowns in forum Laptops
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 08:22 PM
  2. How to close port 68?
    By vtechstu in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 10:56 PM
  3. how to close Xserver for nvidia?
    By o0oO in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 02:13 AM
  4. Why does xine close?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 01:07 PM
  5. Programs won't close!!!!
    By computerkid14 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 01:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Cherry G80-1800 HAU Mechanical Keyboard West Germany Vintage MX Black picture

Vintage Cherry G80-1800 HAU Mechanical Keyboard West Germany Vintage MX Black

$225.00



Original Early Vintage Macintosh Joystick for IIe IIc A2M2012 Untested picture

Original Early Vintage Macintosh Joystick for IIe IIc A2M2012 Untested

$99.00



Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW picture

Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW

$1000.00



Kensington System Saver Fan for Vintage Early Mac WORKS picture

Kensington System Saver Fan for Vintage Early Mac WORKS

$119.00



Vintage Dell XPS 400 Desktop Computer Case | No PSU |  *READ*  -  picture

Vintage Dell XPS 400 Desktop Computer Case | No PSU | *READ* -

$60.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Radius Pivot II Display NuBus Video Card 632-0030 picture

Vintage Radius Pivot II Display NuBus Video Card 632-0030

$149.00



Vintage HP PAVILION MX50 P1282A 13.5

Vintage HP PAVILION MX50 P1282A 13.5" CRT Monitor For Retro Gaming WORKING

$148.99



Vintage Apple Game TAXMAN I + TAXMAN II H.A.L. Labs picture

Vintage Apple Game TAXMAN I + TAXMAN II H.A.L. Labs

$1195.00



Vintage 486 PC Motherboard IBM CPU ISA Cards RAM Novell NetWare 3.12 Computer picture

Vintage 486 PC Motherboard IBM CPU ISA Cards RAM Novell NetWare 3.12 Computer

$249.99