-
Creating a directory in 'home'
I'm trying to install as mentioned in this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=52085
but I've got a problem. Step 4 says 'place file in home/speedtouch-conf/firmware ' but when I do this I recive an 'access denied' error.
I'm new to Linux so please excuse me if this is a really dumb question.
Thanks in advance,
Benedict
-
You have to be root to write to /home
So you should run "su" to be able to create the directory.
btw, if you type 'ls -la' you can see the access rights of each file and directory.
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root NAME
for example means (explained from left to right)
it's a directory (the d in the above line)
the owner has read, write and executable rights (rwx)
the group has read and executable rights (r-x)
the others have read and executable rights (r-x)
the owner is root
the group is root
You can use 'chmod' to change these settings.
E.g. chmod g+w NAME to allow the group to write
chown and chgrp may be used for changing the file's owner and group
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Creating a directory in 'home'

Originally Posted by
benedict1000
I'm trying to install as mentioned in this post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=52085
but I've got a problem. Step 4 says 'place file in home/speedtouch-conf/firmware ' but when I do this I recive an 'access denied' error.
I'm new to Linux so please excuse me if this is a really dumb question.
Thanks in advance,
Benedict
The problem with the line you post is it should be /home/your_user_name/speedtouch-conf/firmware. If the directory does not exist then use mkdir -p /home/your_user_name/speedtouch-conf/firmware then copy the file.
Similar Threads
-
By hawkeye in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-18-2005, 08:42 PM
-
By DieselDriver in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:20 AM
-
By 31d1 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:20 PM
-
By matt2kjones in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-21-2003, 07:27 PM
-
By jdong in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module
$66.31

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50