-
automatic web proxy
I'm running 45 knoppix PCs each booting off the CDROM. I have one other PC on the network which is a hard disk installation of KNOPPIX using the debian installer method. It hosts the DHCPD server.
I'd like the 45 PCs to pick up the web proxy configuration automatically from the DHCP server. Is there a way to add this to my dhcpd.conf file such that the client PCs can pick this up. If not, any other recommendations other than manually having each user enter it for every session?
-Mike [email protected]
-
Senior Member
registered user
Have you looked into WPAD? I remember reading that MS IE in Windows can be set to do a DNS lookup of wpad.yourdomain.com and have that configure the browser for proxy access.
I hope this helps.
James
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: automatic web proxy

Originally Posted by
mwgrenier
I'm running 45 knoppix PCs each booting off the CDROM. I have one other PC on the network which is a hard disk installation of KNOPPIX using the debian installer method. It hosts the DHCPD server.
I'd like the 45 PCs to pick up the web proxy configuration automatically from the DHCP server. Is there a way to add this to my dhcpd.conf file such that the client PCs can pick this up. If not, any other recommendations other than manually having each user enter it for every session?
-Mike
[email protected]
Have you thought of trying the saving config to floppy option and having the users boot with knoppix floppyconf then it should be picked up every time.
Note the floppyconf maybe wrong by now they have changed it too many times for me to be positive you may want to check on that.
-
Regarding WPAD, I forgot to mention that all of the 45 PCs are running Knoppix. Since everyone runs off the same Knoppix image, I thought that someone might have already addressed this issue - namely, does Knoppix have any way to detect and automagically configure to use a web proxy.
I was trying to avoid remastering or having to teach all of the users how to use the different boot options (MOTTO - KEEP IT SIMPLE FOR THE USER) or how to have people go into the advanced tab of Mozilla configuration screens to manually set it on each boot.
THanks,
-Mike
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
I'm confused. How does Squid help?
The problem is automatically configuring the browser to use any proxy. Microsoft IE seems smart enough to work with the WPAD but apparently no Linux based browser seems to do this.
Similar Threads
-
By guenze in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-02-2005, 07:31 PM
-
By sdat1333 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 08:13 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 07:31 AM
-
By AndersonSS in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-25-2004, 08:53 PM
-
By cascadefx in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2003, 08:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$41.19

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping
$54.99