Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Network card not detected by netcardconfig

  1. #1

    Network card not detected by netcardconfig

    I'm getting a "No supported network cards found." message.

    Before I did the hdd install, my linksys card worked. Now neither that nor the sitecom card I've got for it work. (They both work on my XP machine.)

    I would post the lspci -v info, but I really don't feel like typing it all out.
    I'll try getting my Zip drive working on it & transfer the info that way, but I thought I'd post this now incase there are any simple fixes... I've searched the forums & docs but nothing I've found has been relevant or worked.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    If you boot from CD, then issue "lsmod", you should be able to see which auto-detected module/driver is supporting your ethernet card. You can then use that one with your HD install. Try it manually 1st with 'modprobe -v XYZ.o' and add it to /etc/modules when proven correct.

  3. #3
    Thanks... It now sorta works.
    If I manually add "tulip" and "crc32", I can succesfully run the card config and get it up and running.

    However, after adding them both to /etc/modules and restarting, I find it not working. Probably because they have vanished from /etc/modules - is it not enough to simply add them to the end of the file with vi & save, because that's what I did...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Weird. Maybe you have a beginner or knoppix type of HD install? Then I think a HW detection is attempted on every reboot - but hey this should work in your case since the CD works fine... Dunno, sorry.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    After updating /etc/modules, you might need to run the following command:
    Code:
    depmod -a
    If that doesn't make it stick then
    Code:
    update-modules
    should do the trick.

  6. #6
    Tried both those commands and it still didn't work.

    However, upon rebooting, I noticed it was overwriting /etc/modules from /etc/modules-2.4.26 so I've edited both files, ran all the commands, and now it has almost finished rebooting..... and it works! Yay!

Similar Threads

  1. Network Card NOt Detected
    By BlackmageIX in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 11:57 PM
  2. Network card 3 COM 3C940 not detected
    By alfred in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 05:46 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 02:04 AM
  4. Network card not detected, help please
    By _Iz- in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 12:24 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 03:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE picture

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE

$450.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is) picture

IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is)

$6999.99