Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Splitting large files?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3

    Splitting large files?

    I am hoping someone can help me. I have an 80 GB hdd that seems to be fried. I Had a factory install of XP (Compaq) The only thing it came with was a "Recovery CD" which just rewrites the drive to the way it was when we got the computer. I have decided that I am no longer going to be treated like a thief by M$ (not recieving a disk with a $2600.00 USD comp, but I also have about 8 irreplaceable (DV) files which are around 800 MB to 1.5 GB. Is there a program on knoppix to split these files to 700 MB chunks so I can burn them to disk. I really don't have the money for a new drive.
    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You can use the commands split and cat for this.
    split -b 725000000 filename (makes <700 MB chunks called xaa, xab and so on).
    After burning and backuping you can parse it together with:
    cat xab >> xaa (which puts xab after xaa, takes a while to run)
    cat xac >> xaa (if the file was bigger than 1,4GB, do this after xab)
    mv xaa orig_filename (to get back the original filename)
    rm xab xac (delete the now unnecessary files after checking that the orig. file is ok)

    Better test this before you delete anything if the files are really that important to you.
    Note: You need to burn the xaa, xab,.. files before doing another file, alternatively rename them because the next run with split would make new files and overwrite previous ones.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67
    As an addendum to what Markus said, to see the docs for the split command type the command
    Code:
    man split
    and I think you would find that it would be a bit easier for you if you use a command of the form:
    Code:
    split -b 680m filename filename
    which will split the file"filename" into pieces of at most 680 megabytes (to fit on a CD) but will also name the pieces filenameaa, filenameab, filenameac etc. This way you will know where the pieces came from without having to rename the files.

    [edit] You must of course make sure that there is enough room on your drive to hold the additional split files. e.g. splitting a 1.3GB file requires at least 1.3GB free space.

    Best Wishes
    Pete

    [/code]

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You live some, you learn some. Thanks Pete.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3

    I forgot I am a noob.

    I am not any good with command line. I have been using M$. since the eighties. I can not even figure out how to get out of the root directory using the command line.
    Thank you for such a prompt response.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Wish I knew of a GUI for this but I don't
    From the 80's you must know DOS, so here's some command equivalents:
    http://www.control-escape.com/linux/lx-translate.html

    Not sure what you mean by "how to get out of the root directory".
    cd / ,gets you to the root directory (same as c:\ )
    cd ,gets you to your home directory
    su ,makes you root (administrator), exit with ctrl-d
    cd ,as root (admin) gets you to the roots home directory

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    cd .. moves you up one level in the file tree
    cd /home/knoppix moves you to the /home/knoppix folder
    cd /any/path/you/have/ moves you there (if you ave permisions that is).
    ls lists the files.
    ls -l gives a long list of the files in that directory.
    ls -al gives a long list of the files in that directory + shows hidden files
    keep asking, best way to learn.
    for you it might feel odd that the most powerful tools in linux/unix are on the comandline, sad but true.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3

    Thank you

    I was making the slash in the wrong direction, and I was using the root shell
    I was trying direct dos commands and was not going where I wanted.
    thank you again I just use konquer and go to where I want then open the shell and I am done.
    thanks.....

    I still can't get ntfs captive to work... any nt I also just found out my disk does not match the md5 so i am going to try again.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by ph28205
    I was making the slash in the wrong direction,
    Well that's easy. Just remember that Windows is backwards.
    (pun fully intended).

    I still can't get ntfs captive to work... any nt I also just found out my disk does not match the md5 so i am going to try again.
    Now I have never used captive but I do know that the NTFS kernel driver is not very good. Maybe this helps:
    http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by ph28205
    I was making the slash in the wrong direction,
    Well that's easy. Just remember that Windows is backwards.
    (pun fully intended). It think you'll find that the cli under *nix is far more capable and easy to use than DOS.

    I still can't get ntfs captive to work... any nt I also just found out my disk does not match the md5 so i am going to try again.
    Please be sure NOT to use IE to download any .iso images. Use getright or other download manager that supports resuming.
    Now I have never used captive but I do know that the NTFS kernel driver is not very good. Maybe this helps:
    http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

Similar Threads

  1. Stalling when transferring large files to usb 2.0 drive
    By kjjaeger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM
  2. Large HD Install
    By goudiemark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 12:57 AM
  3. Large extremely important NTFS files...
    By gurdian in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:39 AM
  4. Splitting large files into external FAT32 HD
    By Tito in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
  5. How do I get large cursors?
    By rozen in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 05:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368 picture

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368

$22.99



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511

$28.99



Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY picture

Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY

$32.99



OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y picture

OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y

$36.66



OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17 picture

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17

$45.49



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541

$35.78



NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515 picture

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515

$22.00



Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade picture

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade

$39.99



Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New picture

Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New

$33.50



OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR picture

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR

$37.40