-
Boot troubles! :'-(
Hello! I'm here because Damn Small Linux won't boot on my machine.
(And their forums won't sign me up)
Here's what happens:
(I have a 486 running Win95. Trashware indeed.)
I can't boot from CD so I use a boot floppy.
In DOS, even before linux loads, I get
Floppy disk(s) fail (40)
So I hit F1. And it continues into a nice picture of Tux.
I'm using
boot:dsl vga=normal
to avoid "You passed an undefined mode number"
Anyhow, it outputs the following:
loading vmlinuz..................
loading miniroot.gz..................
Ready.
Uncompressing Linux...Ok, booting the kernel
(pause)
hdb:error waiting for DMA
And it repeats the last phrase every minute or so.
What am I doing wrong??
Thanks!
Similar Threads
-
By HappyDays in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-26-2005, 06:18 AM
-
By Pelvis Resley in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 06:42 AM
-
By DusteD in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
-
By cold in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-03-2004, 08:51 PM
-
By ronnie_blue in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00

CWVK X86-P2 Fanless Firewall Mini PC J4125 16GB RAM Dual Intel i226-V 2.5GbE
$184.99

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 48 Core Unlimited User CALs CoA Authentic.
$266.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99