-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Help me dual boot Knoppix and Fedora

Originally Posted by
MaldiGola
I would like to configure a system to dual boot between FC2 and Knoppix 3.4 (HDD install).
I would like to share the /swap and /home directories. (Even though I could access the other OS from a live Knoppix CD it would be good practice for doing this with other 'nixes.)
Now, do I need 2 separate /boot partitions or can I share that as well?
I have already installed FC2 and done a HDD install of Knoppix 3.4.
They should be sharing swap already, each distro will find the swap partition & use it automatically when it boots.
Sharing /home is doable but I wouldn't actually share "/home". You have to use separate 'users' anyway (it gets very complicated if you don't, you would have to match up UID & GID numbers as well an user names in each distro plus each distro would have to be a near match in applications as there are config settings for each user in /home/user). Much easier to make a separate partition for your data and just share the data between the two distos by allowing each one access to the drive. This is most conveniently done by putting a symlink in /home/user. ie knoppix/home/user would contain a symlink pointing to /mnt/hdaX/documents, as would fedora/home/user.
How can I have both of them use one boot loader? Can I use GRUB for both?
Not familiar with GRUB, with Lilo I would just choose one distro as 'primiary', have it put lilo on the MBR. Edit lilo.conf to boot the other distro partition as 'other'. Then have the other distro put lilo on the partition, not on the MBR. Primiry lilo will then boot into the partition lilo to boot the other distro.
Also, how can I have Knoppix boot to 800x600 by default?
Add the appropriate cheatcode to the 'append=' line in lilo (or the equivalent in GRUB).
Similar Threads
-
By realpc in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-26-2005, 09:27 PM
-
By simmons71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-20-2005, 07:21 PM
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By manatarms1775 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

ATARI 400 NEW CAPS NEW 48K RAM KIT B-KEY KEYBOARD COLLECTOR QUALITY
$359.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95