Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 74

Thread: Remastering - The easy way

  1. #41
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    Thats the way I did it, created the swap file outside the script so that I didn't have to do that when inside the script. My remaster worked out really well too, since I remastered to a 1 Gb flash card instead of CD, I didn't have to worry about trimming the iso back down to 700 Mb either. Remastering to flash doesnt even require the step to create the iso; only the step to create the compressed FS. And now my system totally flies, since it never has to access CD anymore. BTW I spent < $150 on the flash card and CF-IDE adaptor.

  2. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7
    Thank you for the suggestion to create the swapfile before running the script. That worked wonderfully. This script has made remastering a lot easier. Of course, I say that before having produced a final result.

    Let's just say, so far, so good.

  3. #43
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164

    Re: gzip level 9

    Quote Originally Posted by kempston
    So is there a way to make this 714Mb iso be 700Mb?
    I can strip some software of course, but i'd like to use same compression as original iso does.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop..._compressed_fs
    Basically use -b with the create_compressed_fs command though it will take a lot longer to create the cloop file.

    Anyone know the status of the distributed cloop tool, any chance of it appearing in knoppix/klik/live-installer? It would sure make it easier to use -b for people who can get there hands on extra machines (and it's even an improvement on smp machines)!

  4. #44
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7
    Ok, I've run into another little problem here.... Where do you edit the launch bar across the bottom and where do you set the default background image at? I'm having a little difficulty finding this information.

  5. #45
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    for the background you can modify /usr/local/lib/knoppix.jpg (during bootup) and /KNOPPIX/background.jpg

  6. #46
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Where are these files located and how are they made and used

    Quote Originally Posted by redss
    Just curious, why worry about customizing KDE for the remaster?

    I skipped KDE customization during the remaster, since I was able to customize it later and save the settings into knoppix.sh/configs.tbz.
    How is this done and where are the files?

  7. #47
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    in the knoppix menu in the quicklaunch tray on the bottom (picture of the penguin), choose configure->save knoppix configuration. It'll save a knoppix.sh into a mounted filesystem you select such as a floppy drive or usb key drive.

  8. #48
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3

    Re: Been waiting for this 14 months

    Quote Originally Posted by ottod
    As Fabian asked Vick, why so old versions? Well, I'm amazed for what the progress of Knoppix has been, ..... but I primarily use a Toshiba laptop, which as many postings in this site confirm, many of them stopped working with Knoppix after 2003-06-06. That was the last fine working version for my machine. In all that have followed, the hard disk cannot be mounted, even if fdisk reports the partitions without problem.
    Thx.
    Try booting nodma I had a similar problem with a desktop box. and booting nodma seemed to work fine. dunno why.

  9. #49
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    80

    Re: Been waiting for this 14 months

    Quote Originally Posted by darkonc
    Quote Originally Posted by ottod
    As Fabian asked Vick, why so old versions? Well, I'm amazed for what the progress of Knoppix has been, ..... but I primarily use a Toshiba laptop, which as many postings in this site confirm, many of them stopped working with Knoppix after 2003-06-06. That was the last fine working version for my machine. In all that have followed, the hard disk cannot be mounted, even if fdisk reports the partitions without problem.
    Thx.
    Try booting nodma I had a similar problem with a desktop box. and booting nodma seemed to work fine. dunno why.
    Good recommendation. DMA was ENABLED by default in one of the more recent version of KNOPPIX( v3.3 something or maybe v3.4 ). I know this because I used to always hack my knoppix.sh script to add hdparm -c1 -d1 /dev/hda( and hdc ) to turn on 32bit interfacing and DMA.

  10. #50
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    This looks like a great leap forward.


    Where can I get a copy of the BOOTSRC (/KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.System/Bootdisk/Knoppix3.x files?

    I want to add USB driver support to the miniroot so that I can boot from a USB drive as well as adding drivers for the Intel IPW2200 wireless chipset, etc.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wow! That was EASY!!!
    By Xorpid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM
  2. Remastering Suite V1.01 released! Easy Knoppix-Remastering
    By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
  3. HDD install EASY AS
    By KeithBlake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
  4. Remastering Scripts : easy remastering
    By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM
  5. how easy is it to do?
    By a.lost.soul in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00