Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 74 of 74

Thread: Remastering - The easy way

  1. #71
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    tapsa,
    First, thanks for making it easy to get those scripts in your deb.

    I gathered that I should be booted from the CD/DVD so I did that and then refused mounting my persistent home when asked. (I usually boot from a bootable knoppix DVD on an 8GB usb thumb drive now that they are cheap.)

    After I installed the package... I ran it and picked a directory I had made before running knoppix-remaster as root, on an 20GB ext3 partition. That would be /media/hdb5/remaster. I had told it to create a new remaster there.

    I ran knoppix-remaster and I picked the first, then second, and then third options.
    The first one made a long copy process. No error was reported there.
    /media/hdb5/remaster/KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.Master/KNOPPIX-CUSTOM/KNOPPIX has the files which are going to be compressed into iso. It seems to have everything I would expect to see in such a target.

    But the curious thing is the KNOPPIX file.
    301 bytes. The first part of the file is...
    #!/bin/sh
    #V2.0 Format
    modprobe cloop file=$0 && mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cloop $1
    exit $?
    with some binary bytes following that.


    So I looked at the files and Knoppix-3.4.mkcompressed defines some environment vars pointing to files that do not exist.

    CDRECORD=/KNOPPIX.build/cdrecord
    MKISOFS=/KNOPPIX.build/genisoimage
    BOOTSRC=/KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.System/bootdisk/Knoppix3.4

    Should the deb have installed those? There is no Knoppix.System at all for instance.
    I will probably just try and copy those files to KNOPPIX.build/ and try again.

    cheers!

  2. #72
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    Well I copied those files to /media/hdb5/remaster/KNOPPIX.build/ and got a little further along. Now I have a huge iso file.
    Here is what make iso says at the end...
    Total translation table size: 2048
    Total rockridge attributes bytes: 10277
    Total directory bytes: 36296
    Path table size(bytes): 262
    Max brk space used 21000
    1035723 extents written (2022 MB)

    Well it doesn't seem to be zipping anything. It only takes about 3 minutes to do too!
    Bummer. This was also strange... I hope I don't need -publisher instead. I'll check that next.
    I'm also not using /KNOPPIX.build but one buried deeper into /media/hdb5/remaster/KNOPPIX.build.

    Checksumming...Done.
    /KNOPPIX.build/genisoimage: The option '-P' is reserved by POSIX.1-2001.
    /KNOPPIX.build/genisoimage: The option '-P' means 'do not follow symbolic links'
    /KNOPPIX.build/genisoimage: Mkisofs-2.02 will introduce POSIX semantics for '-P'
    /KNOPPIX.build/genisoimage: Use -publisher in future to get old genisoimage behavior
    Unknown file type (unallocated) /KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.Master/KNOPPIX-CUSTOM/.. - ignoring and continuing
    Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation

  3. #73
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    Ok well since I did boot from the DVD maybe it is supposed to be that big... so I'll go ahead and try a burn even though I did not try and make a KNOPPIX2 cloop file or even manually copy the files in it to the source image files. Here goes nuthin... lol

  4. #74
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    148
    Well I'll be darned... It was all okay. I am booted into my new Knoppix, with my slight changes... Wow.

    I only did this so I could try out a couple of bug fixes...
    1. I removed pump from the BLACKLIST of processes that get left running in knoppix-halt. It leaves some open files that cause a fsck on my persistent home on every boot I use it.
    2. I am trying out a patch offered to automount a persistent home if it finds one. Well see.

    I just wanted to let others who come along know what I found wrong with it as I did it.

    Thanks again tapsa.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Similar Threads

  1. Wow! That was EASY!!!
    By Xorpid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 02:37 AM
  2. Remastering Suite V1.01 released! Easy Knoppix-Remastering
    By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
  3. HDD install EASY AS
    By KeithBlake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
  4. Remastering Scripts : easy remastering
    By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM
  5. how easy is it to do?
    By a.lost.soul in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS picture

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS

$179.85



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack picture

Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack

$500.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$200.00



ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair picture

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair

$365.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99