Oops, this was easier than I thought. Just rename the configs.tbz to configs.tar.bz and you can open it!
I want to look inside the configz.tbz file that is created when Knoppix settings are saved. Unfortunately, the KDE archiver program "ark" does not open the .tbz file. How can I edit the contents of this file? (I want only some settings to be "persistent")
And, is there any advantage to using .tbz instead of, let's say, .tar.bz, which ark could handle?
Oops, this was easier than I thought. Just rename the configs.tbz to configs.tar.bz and you can open it!
'.tbz' is acceptable shorthand for tar.bz
At the command line, you can do ' tar tjvf configz.tbz |less ' OR:
' bzip2 -cd configz.tbz | tar tvf - | less '
Originally Posted by probono
perhaps we should tell that the ark developers so that they can include it as an acceptable suffix for ark.Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Thanks a lot!Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
How can I pack them again after editing them or deleting unneeded files? (e. g. saving such things as X configuration and fstab is actually stupid since it renders hardware autodetection useless! Antialiasing however is a thing I would love to save...)
--I dunno; if you custom-modified your fstab you'd definitely want to save a copy. Personally I don't use the save-config stuff; just boot KPX where needed, usually w/o X. I figure running from CD is *designed* to be ad-hoc, and use knx-hdinstall for "saving changes"![]()
--Anyway, the ' tar tvf ' only LISTS the files in the tarball. CD to where you want the extracted files and dirs to go, and replace "t" with "x" (tar xvf). This will eXtract the directories and all into your current directory. I highly recommend using ' mc ' to browse and delete. Also make a copy of the original .tbz file JustInCase. To re-archive it gets a little tricky:
' tar cvf - * |bzip2 >configz.tbz '
--This is an *uncofirmed* method of re-archiving. You'll have to double check that the config-restore program extracts the re-archived file correctly, due to subdirectories not being fully-qualified. (See ' info tar ' for more info on tar than you ever hoped to see.) Again, I don't use the saveconfig/restore stuff; tried it once and then just installed to HD.
Originally Posted by probono

Vintage RaidMax Dirk-Tooth Smilodon Gaming Tower with Hardware-Green LED Lights
$149.00
Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW
$1000.00
Original Early Vintage Macintosh Joystick for IIe IIc A2M2012 Untested
$99.00
Kensington System Saver Fan for Vintage Early Mac WORKS
$119.00
Vintage Cherry G80-1800 HAU Mechanical Keyboard West Germany Vintage MX Black
$225.00
Vintage Radius Pivot II Display NuBus Video Card 632-0030
$149.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Lot of 1970s Vintage Computer Brochures and Catalogs
$70.00
Vintage Apple Game TAXMAN I + TAXMAN II H.A.L. Labs
$1195.00
Vintage 486 PC Motherboard IBM CPU ISA Cards RAM Novell NetWare 3.12 Computer
$249.99