Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: freezing system

  1. #1

    freezing system

    Hi everybody,

    i want to clone the workstations in our pool. I use KNOPPIX for the network connection. While copiing on a fileservers export via dd, the system freezes. My steps are:

    1. boot KNOPPIX from CD
    2. mount export: mount -o rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nolock,hard,intr fileserver:/images /mnt/extdisk
    3. copping the partition: dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip -c > /mnt/extdisk/image.gz

    My system is an athlon 64 with gigabyte k8n board. The network interface is a realtek 8169 onboard.

    henning

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: freezing system

    Quote Originally Posted by henning.scheid
    Hi everybody,

    i want to clone the workstations in our pool. I use KNOPPIX for the network connection. While copiing on a fileservers export via dd, the system freezes. My steps are:

    1. boot KNOPPIX from CD
    2. mount export: mount -o rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nolock,hard,intr fileserver:/images /mnt/extdisk
    3. copping the partition: dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip -c > /mnt/extdisk/image.gz

    My system is an athlon 64 with gigabyte k8n board. The network interface is a realtek 8169 onboard.

    henning
    Henning.scheid,

    I am but a noob as far as the "mount", and the "dd" you are doing above, but, from the man pages on "dd", it states that you need if to be specified, or the input will be assumed from stdin, and that you need of to be specified, or the output will be assumed to go to stdout -=- from what I can tell, is, you are using gzip to create a file, which is being used to pass to the "dd" command, right? You specify an input file, but, don't you need to specify the output? ( again, pardon me if I am completely clueless about this, I am just trying to help, and, also, for myself, understand more. Thanks )

    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    you're right. The outputfile must be specified otherwise dd writes to stdout. I'm using '|' to transfer the stdout to stdin. gzip compresses everthing coming from stdin. gzip itself writes to stdout again, but stdout is piped '>' to a file. So the compressed image will be the file with the name after the pipe '>'.
    The mount an the dd command are working. I've tried it on an other computer. But the new one keeps on freezing.
    I think there is a problem with the network interface.

    bye henning

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I think I understand, now, in the following:
    Code:
     dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip -c > /mnt/extdisk/image.gz
    dd is taking all files and folders of hda1, passing them, through stdout, into gzip, as stdin, and then creating the file image.gz in the device/folder /mnt/extdisk - which is mounted to fileserver:/images -=- cool...

    Just to think of the "stupid" things that could go wrong -=- hda1 is mounted, and to the mount point of /dev -=- right?

    Sorry, thats all I can come up with, not worked with nic's for a while, and then, it was on Windows systems ( Win98 and NT ) -=- so, I'm not much help other than the above...

    But, thanks for the understanding, and explanation, I appreciate it
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8.1 freezing on 'Checking for for USB'
    By red_rob in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 10:28 PM
  2. Freezing
    By Dr Snark in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 12:37 PM
  3. XMMS freezing up...
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:18 PM
  4. Freezing after HDD install
    By foil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 06:55 AM
  5. knoppix crashing/freezing
    By punk000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 10:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC

$69.99



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco picture

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco

$89.99



1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800 picture

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800

$59.99



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog  picture

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog

$85.00



Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair picture

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair

$50.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00