Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Conexant HCF Modem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3

    Conexant HCF Modem

    Another modem post :

    I have a Creative ModemBlaster V.92 PCI DI5631 modem. I've determined that it has a Conexant HCF chipset (Vendor ID: x14F1; Device ID: 1057). I'm trying to configure this silly piece of hardware while running the KNOPPIX V3.4-2004-05-17-EN distribution from the CD.

    The first time I ever fired up knoppix (also my first time running ANY linux distribution), I found myself in the standard KDE desktop. I started clicking around and got to KPPP. I set up a new connection, and set it to look for a modem at /dev/ttyS2 (my modem runs in Windows 98 on COM3). When I tried to connect, it said the modem was busy. Same thing happened when I tried 'Query Modem'.

    So I came here, to the knoppix.net forums. I've read multiple posts about modems, and I'm a little confused. I think I may need an HCF driver, but I'm not sure. (Please continue reading, I'll explain.)

    When I run 'lspci -v' from a text console, knoppix sees the modem. Given this fact, do I still need to install a driver, or is it possible to configure it using tools already available to me in the knoppix distribution? (If it helps to the complete readout from my 'lspci -v', just say so and I'll post it).

    I think the answer to the above question is probably that I still do need to install a driver. Assuming this, I clicked around some more and read some more forum posts.

    I've determined that I will need to use the HCF Conexant driver found on
    linuxant.com (The HCF driver homepage is at linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/index.php, and at the time I am writing this post, the newest release is labeled as 'hcfpcimodem-1.01lnxt04072900full'.) I also checked the device compatibility list, and my device (14F1:1057) is listed as compatible.

    One of the forum posts I came across was one written by EPS (found here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2557) about how he got his HSF modem working on KNOPPIX V3.2-2003-05-16-EN with the linuxant HSF Conexant driver (tar-ball distribution). Unfortunately, this post is over a year old and the linuxant Conexant drivers have changed significantly. The directory structure of the driver distribution is different, and many of the files EPS refers to are non-existant. (Not to mention the fact that he used the HSF dirver as opposed to the HCF driver, but I compared concurrent versions of the HCF and HSF drivers and concluded it wouldn't be too hard to use a soultion of one driver for the other. They were pretty similar.)

    I tried to follow the initiative EPS took and localize the new HCF driver to be compiled into '/ramdisk', and I ended up changing a lot more than what EPS changed in his driver (and made changes several different files). I went back into knoppix and tried 'make install', but it did not compile successfully. (If you would like to see the output from the 'make install' with my customized HCF driver, tell me and I'll post it.) I went ahead and ran the 'hcfpciconfig' script, but that did no good, because the *.o files never even compiled. I guess I didn't do enough tweaking of the driver (or maybe too much), but I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to shell scripting.

    Has anyone gotten their modem to connect lately running KNOPPIX V3.4-2004-05-17-EN and a linuxant driver? Or even gotten the driver to compile or install? Maybe someone could update EPS's post? Maybe EPS himself could do it? I tried, unsuccessfully.

    Anyway, this is a cry for help.

    And please:
    1. Don't tell me to buy a different modem.
    2. Don't tell me to install knoppix on my HD.
    3. Don't ask why I have written items #1 or #2.

    , Sorry for such a long post.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    9
    I have the same problem as you.
    On other 'normal' distros i used to use the beta drivers of conexant, because stable isn't free.
    Under Knoppix, it's more difficult. Write if you get around it!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Re: Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem Drivers
    By Redux in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 07:53 AM
  2. ADSL conexant USB modem - HELP !!
    By hairyboglin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 12:34 AM
  3. HSF Conexant inernal modem and KNOPPIX
    By SS1337 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 09:42 PM
  4. Conexant Modem - Please Help
    By zmiscikoski in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 08:07 AM
  5. Help required for conexant modem
    By Chris_Lewis in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 01:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro Server CSE-512L-200B 1U Chassis with X9SCL-F Core i3-2100 8GB 220W picture

Supermicro Server CSE-512L-200B 1U Chassis with X9SCL-F Core i3-2100 8GB 220W

$200.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Super Micro 113M-3 Server Intel Pre Owned Tested And Working picture

Super Micro 113M-3 Server Intel Pre Owned Tested And Working

$250.00