-
Junior Member
registered user
Nine Knoppix Addons
I've been using knoppix-installed debian as my personal workstation for almost a year. I love it.
Last week I did two knoppix installs for linux newbies and I discovered that knoppix isn't as perfect as I had thought. So here is a list of nine things to do after a knoppix hard drive install
http://www3.sympatico.ca/howlettfami...ix_addons.html
later,
andrew.
-
Senior Member
registered user
May I make some suggestions?
1) apt-get update
If you really want to do it right then do apt-get update && apt-get install apt-spy
Then simply run apt-spy to benchmark mirrors that are close to you.
2) apt-get upgrade
You really should know what you're doing here. apt-get upgrade w/ a mix of stable/testing & unstable sources is likely to get you into trouble w/ apt at some point. Personally I use testing/unstable and have no worries.
3) network configuration
Not all high speed connections are DSL. 
4) Set the correct video card
The drivers are installed, but you will have to modify the drivers section.
Not necessarily true. For example if you have nforce or ATI video the drivers are definitely NOT installed. The easiest way to do this is with a script from Kano:
http://kanotix.com/files/
5) OO should NOT be downloaded as root. That's never a good idea as well as unnecessary. What's more, I see no reason not to simpy install OO from Debian. The latest is OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 and if we check Debian we see:
Code:
~$ apt-cache policy openoffice.org
openoffice.org:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1.1.2-3
Version Table:
1.1.2-3 0
500 http://sluglug.ucsc.edu unstable/main Packages
3) For mplayer for Debian (and a host of other video related apps) add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
apt-get update && apt-cache search mplayer
For an easy way to install mplayer from cvs go here: http://kanotix.com/files/
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks for the comments. I have updated the page. My LUG has been distributing Knoppix CDs for about a year. We will start handing out these instructions to our installers and interested newbies.
later,
radagast.
Similar Threads
-
By monkymind in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99