Have you tried netcardconfig, from a root shell?
Just did a hard disk install of Knoppix 3.4
The PC on which I did the hard disk install had no CDROM drive.
So I ran Knoppix 3.4 Terminal server on my laptop.
Then I made the PC a client to the Terminal server.
Now the PC is running Knoppix 3.4 off the hard disk.
Because this PC was a (Terminal server) client, the 3c509 network
card module started (as a DHCP client) before the hard disk install.
Now when the PC boots up with Knoppix 3.4 from the hard disk, the
3c509 card is detected but it does not start as a DHCP client.
Now the PC has no network connection.
So the question is -
On this hard disk install, how can I get this 3c509 card
to become a (persistent) DHCP client every time the PC boots up?
Thanks.
Have you tried netcardconfig, from a root shell?
Yes, but netcardconfig did not show me any network cards.
So I looked into /etc/modules-2.6.6
and noticed that 3c509 was missing.
I added 3c509 to /etc/modules-2.6.6
and rebooted. Now the 3c509 module
loads at boot time and since DHCP is
already a boot option the DHCP client
is happening.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR
$1100.00