Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: I can't backup anything - i need to login as root?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    I can't backup anything - i need to login as root?

    Sweet jesus!
    My HD filesystem is currupt and all i want to do is transfer 1 SQL database onto CD. However the SQL database that i want has a padlock on it and when i try to do anything with it, it says 'you do not have enough permissions to read'.
    All the files are there! when i boot knoppix it finds everything like a dream but just on some files it has this padlock.
    Fair enough! however how the hell can i login as Root to backup this file?
    I know my root username and password.
    That's all I want to do.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Easy, calm down.

    I'm assuming from the number of posts under your name and the nature of your question that your're new to Knoppix, so if my comments appear to assume that you know nothing, please don't be insulted. If you are running from Knoppix from CD, be aware that all drives are set to be read only by default. You get that error when you try to write to a drive what is read only. It has nothing to do with root. For any given drive on your desktop, right click, properties, third tab, uncheck read only, OK, right click the drive again, unmount, double click the drive again to remount. Don't ask me why you have to unmount and remount, I don't know, you just do. When you're ready to copy to CD, the program you want is K3B.

    Hopefully, this will get you to where you need to be to do what you want to do from the graphical desktop. If not, then yes, you can issue commands from the console, and you may have to do some of them as root.

    HTH
    jd

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions but no luck.
    Any files that i downloaded under Redhat 9 have also padlocks on them.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    18
    What happens if you open up a terminal and copy it off as root?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Get this "run/open as root service menu". It save your time.
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/down...ent=11227&id=1

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    I think I figured it out!

    I was just having a similar problem. Here's how I gained full access to my other partictions in knoppix.

    1) open a terminal window.

    2) su

    -- no password is needed

    3) /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/konq*

    this should open knoqueror in root mode.

    4)to get to my other particion I typed:
    /mnt/hda2

    in the location text box

    I hope this works for you. There may be an easier way, but this worked for me.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot login other than root, pls help
    By bsjawle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 05:02 AM
  2. Login as ROOT
    By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 11:52 PM
  3. Root login
    By Dark19 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 03:41 AM
  4. login as root? how?
    By Mogiin in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 11:02 AM
  5. Login as root
    By 1st_time in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00