Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Newbie question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Newbie question

    Hi all

    I have tried various flavours of Linux - Xandros, Mandrake 10, Debian etc and all have either not registered my USB MODEM, or in the case of Xandros have seen it but won't use it to connect to the net.

    Then I download Knoppix Live CD - Volia! USB MODEM detected and connection to the net established without giving any details of my Telewest user name and password!

    How is this possible??

    How can the live cd access the net and MODEM without me providing details?

    I would dearly love to know, because if I can use Knoppix on a regular basis, the XP becomes a Playstation (just for games) - All I need to do is inststall to HDD, get a firewall sorted out and Internet connection sharing enabled and I'm sorted.

    I must know how Knoppix can know my MODEM and net details though.

    Please help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: Newbie question

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred666
    Then I download Knoppix Live CD - Volia! USB MODEM detected and connection to the net established without giving any details of my Telewest user name and password!

    How is this possible??

    How can the live cd access the net and MODEM without me providing details?

    I would dearly love to know, because if I can use Knoppix on a regular basis, the XP becomes a Playstation (just for games)

    ...

    I must know how Knoppix can know my MODEM and net details though.
    Hmmmm, good question...
    If I was going to make a guess, I would say the modem is a popular one, and thus, has wonderful support provided within Knoppix ( as far as the modem is concerned ).

    As for the login information, username and password, I am clueless on that one. I know, for my dialup connection, that I had to "jump through hoops", so to speak, in Windows, to get DUN working, with all the settings... and in Knoppix, KPPP is running in a default configuration - all I needed to provide it was the access phone number, account, and password... But, I find it interesting that you didn't need to provide any of that information to get a connection. ( ? )

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred666
    All I need to do is inststall to HDD, get a firewall sorted out and Internet connection sharing enabled and I'm sorted.
    Well, if you really want to hard drive install, you might want to look at the FAQ's here on the forums, any topics on Poor Man's Install, complete hard drive install, and, depending on your version of Knoppix, version 3.4 is the current ( it has different install options; Debian, Beginner, etc... )

    As for firewalls, you can search this forum for what other people prefer, and run, or do a Google search... I run GuardDog, its real easy, and just a simple apt-get install to download, configure, and begin running...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred666
    Please help
    I hope that I did,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If it's a USB modem the details are probably in it. If you set it up in Windows via a browser you probably saved them on the modem.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Hmmmmm,

    That makes sense Markus, possibly has some Flash ROM, to hold configs, and once a OS gains access to the device, it just took it from there, and made the connection...

    For a while there, I thought they had a "demon possesed" modem, or something

    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Probably a very newbie question..
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
  2. Newbie question?
    By boombastic in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:23 PM
  3. newbie question
    By mover50 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 01:56 AM
  4. newbie question
    By gt300 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 06:32 PM
  5. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module picture

For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module

$66.31



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99