-
Junior Member
registered user
Pppd died unexpectedly? (external modem) Solved!
Hello!
I just got the newest (V3.4-2004-05-16) knoppix on my laptop. It works perfectly besides the fact that I can't connect to the internet with my external modem. The modem is configured and answers at the Query modem just as it should.. This is what happens on an attempt to connect;
Code:
OK
ATM1L1
OK
ATDT(NUMBER)
NO DIALTONE
I don't understand what I've done wrong? A friend of mine advised me to change the ATZ in Initialization string 1 to ATX3, but that just made the connection stop in "Initialising modem", where it stayed until I pressed Cancel..
Any thougts? Thanks for any help!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Check your rj11 cable going from the modem to the phone jack in the wall. If you can, connect a phone to this line, unplug from the modem and connect to a phone, and attempt to dial out from the phone. If the phone cannot work then the problem could be in the cable or the jack itself. The connection from the computer to the modem seems to be working fine because you get responses to the commands that you issue.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I got it.. I changed the ATZ to ATX3, and increased the Post- and Pre-init values, and now it atleast gets a little further.. Now I've got a new problem.
The new problem happens after;
ATDT(NUMB)
CONNECT 57600
And below that there's: Starting pppd...
Suddenly this errormessage pops up:
The pppd daemon died unexpectedly!
Exit status: 2
Then I pressed Details, and this is what i found there:
Code:
Cannot open any of the following logfiles:
/var/log/syslog.ppp
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/messages
What should i do now?
-
Junior Member
registered user
I got it working by starting kppp with sudo kppp, in other words I gave it full rights (by the way, might there be any risks in this?
)
-
i have the same problem of pppd not being to open the files in /var/log.
i realize that you can sudo your way around it, but why can't we use the vanilla kppp method? Why have it if a non root user can't use the dialer?
it must be that pppd is not started with root. i have already tried putting the user into groups dialout and dip, but that is no joy. (that should work).
i have wasted over a full day on this and would REALLY appreciate some assistance.
thanks in advance
dave mallery
-
now a further problem:
i tried the sudo kppp and got thru the logging problem only to find that there is no PPP0 device. MAKEDEV refuses to make anything more than /dev/ppp . . . no ppp0.
but that's what pppd is asking for!!!! not ppp.
so my connection fails cuz of no ppp0.
last time i did ppp, there was a ppp0. someone changed makedev and didn't tell pppd.
i've been proseltizing linux and knoppix in particular. to everyone. but i can't even dial in to an isp!
frustrated beyond...
dave mallery
Similar Threads
-
By Cuddles in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 16
Last Post: 12-24-2003, 06:19 PM
-
By DavidTempler in forum Networking
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-04-2003, 07:15 PM
-
By DavidTempler in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-18-2003, 10:27 AM
-
By dona in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-06-2003, 09:34 AM
-
By in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-26-2002, 07:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC
$27.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99