Hi all,

My son recently tried Knoppix Live CD 3.4 (17.5.04), which was very impressive.

However we now have a problem. We can't boot fully back into windows ME. We get as far as the login screen, hit enter then get a blank desktop (wallpaper, but no icons or taskbar) when I hit 'Ctrl, Alt, Del' it shows no applications running.

Since this was a live CD (with no install) he didn't run any backup prior to running Knoppix, as he believed that it only loaded into RAM and wouldn't alter his current setup. The only operation that he performed that I can see may have somehow altered his hard drive was to play some MP3's off of the windows directory whilst in Knoppix. Maybe by playing music from a windows directory he unintentionally created a perm directory or something in knoppix, which is corrupting windows boot??

Please, Please help as I don't want to spend the next 3 days installing hundreds of application. Any help, and I mean any would be much appreciated. P.S, I'm no expert so please explain point to point. Thanks.