Why would you assume that the programs in the other ISOs would even know what that command meant? Maybe I'm missing something.
jd
Just wondering if anyone has used the bootfrom cheatcode to boot ISOs other than KNOPPIX?
TIA,
AJG
Why would you assume that the programs in the other ISOs would even know what that command meant? Maybe I'm missing something.
jd
I haven't tried that. However I did notice that Kanotix has a great bootmenu/splash with grub menu entries that allow you to boot from hda, hdb and/or have grub use a different grub.conf. I gather that it would allow you to boot the existing hda with a messedup MBR as long as it could find the grub.conf and the appropriate kernel.
Well, I thought that bootfrom was used from a liveCD boot to boot from a new ISO on a hdd, right? Does that ISO have to be KNOPPIX or can it be, say, a QUANTIAN or DAMN-SMALL-LINUX or some other ISO?
TIA,
AJG
That would depend on whether the authors of these "Knoppix variants" kept and/or modified the scripts that allow the use of the "bootfrom" cheatcode.
Quantian allows "bootfrom". Its author explains how to use the "bootfrom" cheatcode here. (It's sort of convoluted, in that you have to download clusterKnoppix and burn it to CD in order to have something to boot from...if you don't have a DVD burner.)
Damn Small Linux has its own modified set of cheatcodes, but includes "bootfrom".
Right, that howto on the QUANTIAN website is what got me started thinking about this. I think Dirk goes into all this detail about having a CLUSTERKNOPPIX liveCD just to boot any new QUANTIAN ISO download with the bootfrom cheat.
Can't I just use any liveCD boot that has the bootfrom cheatcode (most all KNOPPIX remasters do) to boot any live Linix ISO? I guess I don't have to as most my PCs have been knoopix-installer'ed so I could just mount an ISO as another ro fs, right?
Regards,
AJG
Mounting an ISO -- e.g. "mount -t iso9660 /path/to/file.iso /mnt/test -o loop,ro" -- will certainly give you access to the contents of that ISO, but it's different than actually booting from it.
(I think what you can do, although I personally have yet to try this out, is to copy the "compressed loop" file, /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, to your hard drive and "chroot" into it.)
You can't just use any old kernel/miniroot to start up a Knoppix remaster. They have to match the kernel version that the remaster uses.
There's plenty of other live Linux CD distros -- Mandrake Move, SuSE, Slax, and PCLinuxOS2K4, for example -- that use different scripts and ways to boot. You would have no success getting them to boot using Knoppix's files.
I haven't played around much with "bootfrom" but I've used "fromhd" a lot.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99
DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR
$1100.00