Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: It worked!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lacey, WA
    Posts
    3

    It worked!

    I now have Knoppix installed on my hard drive!

    I haven't left Windows XP entirely at this point. I can't get online yet with Linux because I don't have a compatible wireless device. I'm planning to get a wireless ethernet bridge. I also need to figure out how to sync my Palm OS device, but I may be using XP for that for awhile yet. Plus there are games I'd still like to play.

    I spent some time before trying anything reading posts here and at LinuxQuestions.org. I also used Knoppix in CD mode, tried a few other distros, and made up my mind.

    I removed a bunch of unnecessary stuff from my hard drive, defragged like crazy, and then backed up all of my critical files. Once that was finished I used qtparted to resize my NTFS partition and free up some space. I rebooted, made sure XP worked still, then rebooted back to Knoppix. Then I created new partitions and ran the installer. LILO loaded fine. I tried XP first -- no problem. Then rebooted back to Knoppix on the hard drive.

    Everything seems to be working fine. Once I get online I'll be transitioning more and more to Linux.

    This is probably old hat to many folks here. Exciting for me, though. I have a lot to learn!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: It worked!

    Quote Originally Posted by Domhnull
    I now have Knoppix installed on my hard drive!

    I haven't left Windows XP entirely at this point. I can't get online yet with Linux because I don't have a compatible wireless device. I'm planning to get a wireless ethernet bridge. I also need to figure out how to sync my Palm OS device, but I may be using XP for that for awhile yet. Plus there are games I'd still like to play.

    I spent some time before trying anything reading posts here and at LinuxQuestions.org. I also used Knoppix in CD mode, tried a few other distros, and made up my mind.

    I removed a bunch of unnecessary stuff from my hard drive, defragged like crazy, and then backed up all of my critical files. Once that was finished I used qtparted to resize my NTFS partition and free up some space. I rebooted, made sure XP worked still, then rebooted back to Knoppix. Then I created new partitions and ran the installer. LILO loaded fine. I tried XP first -- no problem. Then rebooted back to Knoppix on the hard drive.

    Everything seems to be working fine. Once I get online I'll be transitioning more and more to Linux.

    This is probably old hat to many folks here. Exciting for me, though. I have a lot to learn!
    Yes it is a steep learning curve. But it is something new and its still fun for me.

    One thing to watch out for. BEcause knoppix is based on CId (The unstable version of Debain) when you upgrade or try to install some programs it won't work because the libaries ca't be install. Don't fret, thats just how Cid is. So when you feel comfortable enough, try installing sarge or woody (go to debain.org to download, I would suggest the net install.

    Because woody is stable (Sarge is testing, about to become stable) they will install with alot less problems.

    Good Luck.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lacey, WA
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the tips. I've looked at Debian.org but I'll hold off for the moment. At least until I get online with Linux. Small steps.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: It worked!

    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    One thing to watch out for. BEcause knoppix is based on CId (The unstable version of Debain) when you upgrade or try to install some programs it won't work because the libaries ca't be install.
    Good Luck.
    This can be solved in every instance I have seen by doing the following.

    Instead of doing this:

    apt-get install (name_of_program)
    Do this:

    apt-get -t unstable install (name_of_program)
    "-t unstable" will requre apt install the program from unstable AND INSTALL ALL DEPENDENCIES FROM UNSTABLE.

    I know that people often bring up the mixed nature of Knoppix as a problem for doing a hard drive install, but it's really a myth.

    If you suspect that there might be problems just do the following:

    apt-get -s -t unstable install (name_of_program)
    The "-s" will simulate a install and you can see if you will be borked by having tons of packages removed. In my experience however using "-t unstable" almost always removes this danger.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    firebyrd10,

    What you said is not entirely true. Knoppix is not based on SID but is a mixture of all three levels of the debian distro. That is why upgrades are problematic. "True" debian SID installations work very well, the only drawback is periodic quirks in the applications because they are cutting edge!

    You are right in saying that SARGE is a bit better for those who what a very usable problem free OS.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lacey, WA
    Posts
    3

    thanks

    thanks aay, that is helpful. I was reading about the different levels and wondered if I couldn't just use sid.

Similar Threads

  1. Internet worked first time, but now it's down
    By radu_dragonul in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 05:35 PM
  2. Install worked but no program
    By mom2tatjana in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2005, 03:58 PM
  3. Version 3.4 is broken. 3.2 worked.
    By jgombos in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 10:17 PM
  4. HDD instal: NOTHING WORKED!!!
    By The Fader in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:38 AM
  5. worked before, now hangs at INIT!
    By chrsjav in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 11:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99