Quote Originally Posted by drmarathe
[My Hard disk controller has crashed and I have to use Knoppix. And I have to save my work on this Stick. Real urgent.] I am supposed to mount it but what works, I don't know.
Assuming you're running Knoppix from the live CD: plug the USB key in and boot Knoppix. Knoppix will automatically show an icon for it on the desktop. From the context menu, you can mount it and change its read-only status to read/write.

Assuming you're running a hard disk installation of Knoppix: plug in the USB key (it shouldn't matter whether it's before you boot or after KDE's up, since Knoppix uses "hotplug"). As root, in a console, type

mkdir /mnt/sda1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

and you should be good to go. It should be mounted on /mnt/sda1.

(Note: If you have more than one storage device connected, for example a USB key and a USB hard drive, they usually show up as /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, etc. in my experience.)