What you would do is as root:
tune2fs -j /dev/hdX where X is the proper partition descriptor
rock
hi all,
Is there an option during the HD installation to set up an ext3 filesystem for the boot partition?
If I've already have an ext2 for my boot partition, how do I convert this into an ext3?
Thanks in advance for your help,
viet.
What you would do is as root:
tune2fs -j /dev/hdX where X is the proper partition descriptor
rock
that does work -thanks.
After you have created the journal with the command
tune2fs -j /dev/hdX
on the partition X, you have to change the filesystem entry for this
partition in the file
/etc/fstab
from
ext2 to ext3.
rla
hi again,
i converted my ext2 to ext3 in the hope that I wouldn't have to run fsck after someone accidentally power off my computer (I heard journalled filesystems are "crash-friendly"). This hasn't realised for me. So ext3 is not THAT good?
cheers,
viet.
viet,
If you do a top is kjournald running? I had one system that I thought was running ext3 but actually it was running the ext3 in ext2 mode.
I still have fsck running on my ext3 systems also, probably a holdover to provide ext2 support on a system if necessary?? Although reliability is my main concern.
rock
If anyone has installed KNOPPIX to the hdd on various file systems, I'd be interested in your experience. Specifically, what are the pros and cons of using ext2 vs. ext3 vs. reiser, etc.
TIA,

Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS
$50.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$599.99
Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00
Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY
$20.00
Vintage SHARP PC-1500 Pocket Computer Scientific Calculator POWERS ON, UNTESTED
$85.00
Vintage Retro Beige ATX Sleeper PC Desktop Computer Case Good Condition
$199.99
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
Vintage NEC PC-9801VX Japanese Computer System Powers On
$950.00
Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00