Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: cloning locally-- please help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    cloning locally-- please help

    To anyone whom may be able to help:

    I just recieved my replacement Maxtor drive, which will be replacing one that is failing evey few days. Reading through the faq did not answer my question, so I am posting it here.

    I have two drives installed on my system. One is brand-new and has not been used (not even formatted) while the other is my old Debian Linux drive. Both drives are of the same make and where produced by the same company. With my Knoppix v3.4 live cd running, how do I copy the old drive's image onto the new drive? My goal is to have an exact copy of the old drive, before it becomes un-usable.

    Please note that so far I have only found instructions on how to do this over a network, which is problematic, because I need to do this locally.

    Thank you for your time,
    -Xeoron

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    I found a solution so I thought I would share it. A friend suggested that I use this:

    cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb

    And to adjust for the correct device name.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    18
    You may want to try this instead. From a root shell type:

    dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

    If you just use "cp" it will only copy over the data(I'm pretty sure anyway), if you use "dd" you will get an exact bit for bit copy of it, including your partition tables and everything.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    dd will only work well if the disks are same size, and i would use cp -a /dev... that would preserve permisions... better.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    I would mark all directories with mc, and copy (preserving attributes).
    Then I would modify lilo.conf, and rerun lilo for booting from the new drive.

    Assuming you have only one partition and use the lilo - bootloader.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    that would work. MC uses cp -a for that...

Similar Threads

  1. Cloning a hard disk
    By ferrel in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 01:39 PM
  2. Disk Cloning?
    By eon in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 11:14 AM
  3. cloning HD using Knoppix
    By drjawn in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 12:23 PM
  4. Networked disk cloning HOWTO?
    By MethodMan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 09:25 PM
  5. Cloning a harddisk
    By Balaam in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$594.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



4x Various Brands 8.5

4x Various Brands 8.5" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape 6250 CPI .5"

$24.99



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art picture

Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art

$225.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500 B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500 B5000

$94.95



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Oracle for Macintosh Developer’s Kit v1.0a (1988–1989) – Complete • UNUSED picture

Oracle for Macintosh Developer’s Kit v1.0a (1988–1989) – Complete • UNUSED

$1600.00