-
Making Kismet configurable from within Knoppix
Hi there,
First of all a big thankyou to Klaus Knopper and colleagues for a great Linux live CD. I'm very impressed with it, and I make every attempt to give copies to my friends, to help convert them to Linux.
Another useful-looking piece of software is Kismet (http://www.kismetwireless.net) , which is a WiFi packet sniffer for Linux. To my surprise and delight I found that Kismet is included on the Knoppix CD, albeit that it doesn't have a menu option - you have to invoke it from the command line. So with Knoppix you can turn any laptop into a handy WiFi packet sniffing tool!
On Knoppix v3.3, Kismet worked straight 'out of the box' (when logged-in as root). However, on Knoppix v3.6 (which contains a later version of Kismet with some extra features I would like to use), Kismet doesn't work (for me). It turns out that on v3.3, the Kismet config file expects to see a Lucent/ Orinoco WiFi card (which I happen, by sheer luck, to have), whereas on Knoppix v3.6 it expects to see a Cisco WiFi card (which I don't have).
So to change between one card and another, it is necessary to modify the configuration file (kismet.conf). However, this is stored in the read-only Knoppix filesystem (i.e. on the CD), with a link at /etc/kismet/kismet.conf, which *is* writeable (on RAMDISK, I suppose). So the hack around this problem is either to copy the config file into the above directory (overwriting the link), or else to copy the config file to somewhere else, and to replace the link to the new target directory.
So perhaps to make Knoppix a little more configurable in the first place, it might be a good idea to put the Kismet config files directly in some writeable file system. This would probably be a good idea for other similar applications too. I understand that other considerations may mean that this isn't such a good idea. However, I just thought I'd make the suggestion, for what it's worth.
Cheers,
deeBs
Similar Threads
-
By bigmos in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-20-2004, 04:50 AM
-
By Haakneus in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-18-2004, 09:19 PM
-
By bljohnson in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 11:06 PM
-
By minhsao in forum The Lounge
Replies: 13
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:36 PM
-
By Dan000892 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$20.70

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99