Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix freezes while browsing.

  1. #1

    Knoppix freezes while browsing.

    Knoppix recently started freezing randomly when I'm on the computer. It USUALLY happens after I click a link. This happens in Mozilla, Firefox and even Konqueror.

    At first, I thought it was my configuration, as when I tried to load it at the next boot. I had a long list of error messages saying "free blocks count corrupted for block group 16" So I tried not loading it, it still froze afterwards. Then I tried not loading my persistent home, and it still froze afterwards too, right after I click a link. I tried loading it from my HD through a poor man's install and it froze too in the same circumstances. Right now, Knoppix is loaded from the CD, no cheatcodes of any kind. I'll see if it freezes too.

    There's no error message whatsoever, afterwards and I've tried searching the forums and found nothing. It just freezes, and my mouse and keyboard is unusable.

    My specs are as follows

    P4 1.6 ghz
    512 MB RAM
    20 gig HD in FAT32 (just one partition)
    SBLive! Sound card
    Geforce 2 MX400.

    Any ideas on what's going on?

  2. #2
    Alright, update. It just froze again. Not after clicking a link this time, just by being idle. God, this sucks. Any ideas on what's going on?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1
    hmm, I think I may have the same problem, not strictly in knoppix but it has happened in both DamnSmallLinux and Feather Linux today (both based on knoppix I think?). Using Dillo as my browser it freezes when I click on a link, forcing a reset (has happened both with boot from CD and from a HDD install).

    Any help would be much appreciated here too...


    Linux Noob with an old Toshiba 480CDT Laptop:
    P1 233 MMX
    48MB Ram
    4 GB HDD

  4. #4
    Yeah, any help would be appreciated.

  5. #5

    Re: Knoppix freezes while browsing.

    Quote Originally Posted by constellation
    Knoppix recently started freezing randomly when I'm on the computer. It USUALLY happens after I click a link. This happens in Mozilla, Firefox and even Konqueror.
    What I am finding is that with the 2.6.x kernel, I have all sorts of flaky problems. Sometimes it's freezes, later I can't use the "search" function in Konqueror anymore, at other times I can't write CDRs, etc. The system feels very fragile, as if I had some sort of Windows virus (but that's not possible). Going back to the 2.4.x kernel seems to solve all that. So I would suggest you reinstall, use the 2.4 kernel only, and see if that solves everything.

    Note that I have had this problem with other distros - it's not just Knoppix.

    regards,
    Robert

  6. #6
    Thanks, but I have been using the 2.4 kernel exclusively, my internet connection doesn't work in the 2.6. =\ Any ideas anyone?

  7. #7
    Alright, I fixed it by using the 2.6 kernel. I also found out how to set up my internet connection. Weird that it's not auto-detected.

Similar Threads

  1. lan browsing in linux
    By ans_iitg in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 02:18 PM
  2. network browsing?
    By Dominator in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 02:55 AM
  3. Knoppix user browsing system problem
    By adyga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 01:15 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.2 freezes up
    By Engon in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 12:15 AM
  5. browsing lunx pc from win 2k
    By robert01483 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 12:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver

$4.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$34.94



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile

$35.00