Simplified, computer architecture comes down to the type of processor. This link http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gc...flag_gcc3.html should help you to understand it.
I hope this helps.
James
I get a sense that I should really know the answer to this question, but I dont. I've even googled it too...no luck...
What is my computer architecture: i386 i586 i686? How do I know this anyway? Does anybody know a good link which discussed the differences...
my system is:
a7v8x-x Asus motherboard
athlon-xp 2200+ processor (socket A, im not sure if this is needed)
I believe any other info is irrelevant in determining architecture...
thanks,
b
Simplified, computer architecture comes down to the type of processor. This link http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gc...flag_gcc3.html should help you to understand it.
I hope this helps.
James
Your computer with an athlon xp 2200 is a i686. you can also run any of the ix86 (x= 3, 4, 5,) distros. Basically ix86 is IBM compatible, (not totally but for the purposes of this discussion we will say so) macs are powerpc archetecture. The difference in i386 and i686 is that the the i686 is optomized for faster processors, but both use the same basic archetecture (that being how they process the data).
Right, anything ix86(or x86) will work, if you have a choose between 386, 586, 686 pick the one that best matchs your processor, it will give the best proformence.Originally Posted by robwelch100

Vintage GA-5AX ALi Aladin & SN2000P LAN Card Manuals & Driver Floppies Lot
$30.00
Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00
Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage
$200.00
Vintage Standard Memories MM-140 Memory Board ASSY 102415 - Working When Pulled
$175.00
Vintage Computer Motherboard Used
$250.00
Rare Vintage SCM Microsystems Swapbox Classic 2 Dual PCMCIA to ISA Adapter
$120.00
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99
VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00