Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Programs I kinda Need... does anyone know if they exist?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554

    Programs I kinda Need... does anyone know if they exist?

    ok... i just finished installing Knoppix on me computer... at home... in me bedroom... anyway... loving it... i installed the Debian version because i did... crazy aint I? any way... now that i have done that... i need to know where some programs are which i can load on to it...

    I need flash... FLASH AWAY!!!... anyway... I need a program that can make flash things, like Macromedia Flash MX! and does Swift 3D come in a linux version???

    I also neeed a program that will alowe me to play me windows games like Half-Life, and run and install some of my old old window games... please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: I FEEL SMART (smartness not included).

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-harry
    ok... i just finished installing Knoppix on me computer... at home... in me bedroom... anyway... loving it... i installed the Debian version because i did... crazy aint I? any way... now that i have done that... i need to know where some programs are which i can load on to it...

    I need flash... FLASH AWAY!!!... anyway... I need a program that can make flash things, like Macromedia Flash MX! and does Swift 3D come in a linux version???

    I also neeed a program that will alowe me to play me windows games like Half-Life, and run and install some of my old old window games... please help.
    Congrats, but a word of warning. Because knoppix is based on Sid (the unstable version of debian) chances are you won't be able to upgrade or install alot of programs. You might want to consider installing Sarge (testing version, almost stable) or woody (stable). I like the netinstall verion.

    Anyway, I believe there is a port of Half-life to linux (You still need the level, data files.) and wine might be able to run the other games.

    To do the netinstall.

    go here http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dist...mages/netboot/
    and download mini.iso. Burn it and reboot.

    You can ignore that it says sarge in the folder. You will be given to the option to install the differnt versions.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    It would be smart to use meaningful subjects.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    It would be smart to use meaningful subjects.
    but me not that smart...

    ohh... by the way... any recomended programs you recomend me to load onto it???

    Congrats, but a word of warning. Because knoppix is based on Sid (the unstable version of debian) chances are you won't be able to upgrade or install alot of programs. You might want to consider installing Sarge (testing version, almost stable) or woody (stable). I like the netinstall verion.

    Anyway, I believe there is a port of Half-life to linux (You still need the level, data files.) and wine might be able to run the other games.

    To do the netinstall.

    go here http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dist...mages/netboot/
    and download mini.iso. Burn it and reboot.

    You can ignore that it says sarge in the folder. You will be given to the option to install the differnt versions.
    I wish i could download things, but I have the slowest internet acount... dialup... with dodo... the company thats says its internet can fly (more like the bird)...

    I got this debian DVD (ooh)... full with alot of packages, and a stable version of Debian 3.0r2. could i use that dvd to install some packages, and update the debian i am using now??? is that possible???

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    but I have the slowest internet acount... dialup... with dodo...
    So finding interesting threads by meaningfull subject should be your interest.
    Try to use the edit-button.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    um... user unknown... am i offending you or something... if i am i am terrible sorry for offending you... and if you want me to change the name of the subject... please tell me a good name to name it... and once again... i am sorry to offend you...

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Since these are pretty unrelated, 3 Threads could be better:
    a) linux-program to create flash
    b) Swift 3d for linux
    c) how to play half-life on linux

    a) no idea
    b) what is swift3d? a 3d-modelling software?
    Blender is free on linux. But 'Swift3d linux' is a good google-phrase.
    c) Wine is a win-emulator.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    No need to apologize. It's no offense...it's just more likely that you will get answers if the subject summarizes what your question is.

    Crossover Office says it will run Flash MX. It's not free though. Macromedia is supposedly gonna port Flash MX to linux soon too...but who knows when.

    Wine is ok for simple windows apps, but I don't know how likely it will be to work with the stuff you're hoping to run on it. WineX runs games I think.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    I have Blender... Does it really do vectors? Love it though. I dont know why some people say its hard to use... i dont thing its that hard?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    [quote="chris-harry"]

    I got this debian DVD (ooh)... full with alot of packages, and a stable version of Debian 3.0r2. could i use that dvd to install some packages, and update the debian i am using now??? is that possible???
    You now have a Debian system (Knoppix) installed on your hard drive. You will be able to install ANY debian application. Get to know how to use dpkg and apt-get which is debian's package installer programs.
    You should also be able to install the applications on your debian disk either by cding to the disk then 'dpkg -i <package name>' or by clicking on the package then kpackage should install them. (Kpackage is a 'front-end' which actually uses dpkg to do the install).
    However, be aware that these package installers are actually designed to install by downloading over the internet where they have free access to any dependency programs or program updates they may need. If attempting to install an already downloaded package, it doesn't know where to look for dependencies & it may then be unable to do the install.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix forgets the Time... kinda...
    By Gleeb in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 10:12 AM
  2. knoppix v3.7 hd install doesn't boot ..... kinda
    By mkyb14 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 02:19 AM
  3. TTY2->5 don't exist
    By rabinhood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 09:27 AM
  4. Does Lyx really exist on the cd version?
    By Rob_S in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 03:17 PM
  5. Does this exist?
    By rtcary in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2003, 06:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99