Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Unmounting Knoppix CD with TORAM

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    13

    Unmounting Knoppix CD with TORAM

    In my Toshiba Notebook I have only one CD Writer And I have no Hard disk. The disk controller having crashed. Is there any way of using Knoppix so that after starting Knoppix, I can umount the CD and then play music CDs or Video CDs? I have lots of RAM i.e. 256 MB

    I tried Toram option. But it doesn't let me eject CD.

    Secondly is there any way to login as Root under KDE. I am having problems accessing data from my Jetflas Stick, if I am not root.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Unmounting Knoppix CD with TORAM

    Quote Originally Posted by drmarathe
    In my Toshiba Notebook I have only one CD Writer And I have no Hard disk. The disk controller having crashed. Is there any way of using Knoppix so that after starting Knoppix, I can umount the CD and then play music CDs or Video CDs? I have lots of RAM i.e. 256 MB

    I tried Toram option. But it doesn't let me eject CD.
    You would need 1G of system RAM to use the toram cheatcode. A 500MB .iso would only require 768M of RAM. Perhaps a smaller .iso would even boot toram w/ less system RAM. I have heard of other distros that allow you to eject the cd after boot but do not recall what they are.

    Secondly is there any way to login as Root under KDE. I am having problems accessing data from my Jetflas Stick, if I am not root.

    Thanks
    Simply open a terminal and issue su and you are root. Then you can launch anything you like as root. To launch Konqueror: konqueror &

    Another option would be:
    init 3
    startx


    That *should* start an entire X session as root. I do not have a Knoppix disc handy at this moment to confirm and I am not overly familiar with KDE so perhaps it may not work this way.

    Although this is generally considered a bad idea (running X as root or logging in as root) I do understand that your disc controller is not functional so in your case I suppose that no harm can really be done to your laptop. Be careful if you are on a network!

Similar Threads

  1. unmounting and remounting a hard drive under run level 2?
    By Sephiroth in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
  2. Help mounting and unmounting partitions on desktop
    By LinuxCrusader in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 08:29 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 12:52 AM
  4. unmounting
    By simple in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 08:21 PM
  5. Error unmounting drives after re-master.
    By dragonx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 06:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SYS-6019P-ACR12L 2x Xeon Silver 4110 2.1GHz 0GB RAM 1U Rack Server picture

Supermicro SYS-6019P-ACR12L 2x Xeon Silver 4110 2.1GHz 0GB RAM 1U Rack Server

$499.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00