-
Senior Member
registered user
knoppix in school
I'll try and keep this to the point.
I work at an after-school program ata low income school. After spring break I will be teaching a geometry class and wanted to use geometer's sketchpad, but tht's a lot of money for 4 to 6 workstations, plus, PC's are hard to come by at that school.
But today it struck me.
I do have access to a number of NIC's. If you're not familiar an NIC (New Internet Computer) is a stripped down internet only computer with a 200 mhz CPU 60MB ram and no hard drive or floppy. It uses a specialy designed sun microsystems uni that only has a web browser, which, like knoppix, runs entirely from the CD. Today I tried knoppix because I remembered that it comes with kreative geometry, which would work fine. And it did boot. Of course all I got was an X-window, but I was able to use the left mouse button menu to launch the program and it ram fine, but load times were BAD.
My question is, what can I do to make things run faster or smoother, or make starting up more simple for the kids? I don't think I have enough computer of my own to recompile my knoppix CD, so I'm stuck using boot commands. Remember, there's no hard disk OR floppy.
Anyway, any suggestions appreciated.
Similar Threads
-
By toxic in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 16
Last Post: 12-25-2005, 06:47 PM
-
By msouden in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 06:27 PM
-
By Me1324 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-01-2004, 11:54 PM
-
By rasheemo in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-25-2004, 03:51 PM
-
By |darc| in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00