Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: NIC newbie- onboard adapter help needed

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276

    NIC newbie- onboard adapter help needed

    Hi. I have been running linux for awhile and presently have two installs on this PC. Both Kanotix right now, one 2.4 kernel, the other 2.6. I have just gotten into this century and have gotten cable. My board is an ECS K7S5A with onboard adapter. The driver that is working here in windows is SIS900. But neither of my linux installs recognizes an adapter - the network configuration utility on both says no. I am googling but I am impatient and also pretty pathetic in the compiling drivers dept. I know I saw others with this board in linux forums and would appreciate any help you can provide. The cable modem is a Motorola surfboard SB4100 which the cable company calls a "GL" I have no clue why But I think I need to get the adapter problem taken care of before I start worrying about the modem And sad to say it was a breeze with windows 98, I didn't even need the cable company's software <shudder-no way> just the mobo CD. Of course I am probably being hacked a mile a minute

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    poor form to reply to my own post, but progress I have made though not cured by a long shot

    googling came up with mostly problems long ago for this adapter and most saying the cure would come with kernel 2.2.20 when SIS900 would be supported. So, I figured the bugger had to be on here. I modprobed sis900, ran network config and voila. I am here. But if I reboot I am not. And have to go through it all again.

    This is a hard drive install. What do I need to get this to set permanently? Googling is bringing me overload info on this and I need something specific to debian methinks as well as I don't seem to have the same files in the places they are mentioning in posts on the net.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I don't know about knoppix because I'm using kanotix right now. But in kanotix, sis900 module is include. Check in /lib/modules/2.6.6-kanotix-3/kernel/drivers/net/sis900.ko.
    If you are using kanotix, run modprobe sis900 or insmod sis900.
    On motorola surfboard, one thing you should look into is your network card netmask, sometimes it won't use the default 255.255.255.0. You could try changing to something like 255.255.0.0.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    well everything is working peachy now until I reboot then I have to go through the whole thing again. I could add sis900 to modules and that should start up but how to get the netcardconfig to stick? When I run it asks if I want dhcp broadcast, I say yes, it goes okie dokie about eth0 and poofs. Then I have connection but on reboot nothing. So what to add to what init file?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    once again ascending to new heights of bad form by replying to my own post.
    But I found a solution and so for the next poor slob:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...+netcardconfig

    now why didn't I think of that they have to be kidding, how would average jill such as myself figure out something like that? And the answer wasn't quite that pat for me, netcardconfig did not yield a line such as: ifconfig blah blah. It just gave me a "auto lo eth0". Something more along the lines of sensorsdetect where they actually tell you to copy the darn line might be more helpful. But you still have the problem of every distro needing it pasted someplace different.

    Thanks shah and tortele

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 04:35 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 11:03 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 08:49 PM
  4. Newbie basic advice needed
    By ellen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 12:53 AM
  5. Speedtouch USB help needed (newbie Q)
    By purplehaze in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00