I've installed a Knoppix 3.4 in a laptop, using the 2.4 kernel, and it works ok. The only problem is the modem. It has a conexant xipset, so I used the linuxant drivers. They work well, no problems.
But I didn't like the restriction of 14.4 kbps, so I found older drivers that can connect at 56kbps (the same linuxant drivers, but an older free version). I uninstall the limited drivers, and installed the free ones. At first, they worked perfect. But after rebooting, kppp says that the modem is always busy :\
Reinstalling the drivers don't solve the problem. I have to uninstall completely the drivers, reboot, and install again. But at the next reboot, they don't work again. Any clue? (Some config file, or strange module incompatibilities). I don't know which logs could help, but if you tell me i will post it.

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$749.99
Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99
Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99
Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL
$169.00
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00