-
Can I use Gnome and XFCE with Knoppix?
I was looking at topologilinux and was thinking of downloading it. It looks like it can run Gnome, KDE, and XFCE, which I am guessing are like different skins for linux. How does knoppix compare as far as packaged software and being able to run Gnome and XFCE with topologilinux? The feature that attracted me was the NTSF partition possiblities. It sounds alot like knoppix. The part that discouraged me was the about 1000 mb download for both disks. I know the first disk is the os, but what is on the 2nd disk?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Can I use Gnome and XFCE with Knoppix?

Originally Posted by
Garibaldi
I was looking at topologilinux and was thinking of downloading it. It looks like it can run Gnome, KDE, and XFCE, which I am guessing are like different skins for linux. How does knoppix compare as far as packaged software and being able to run Gnome and XFCE with topologilinux? The feature that attracted me was the NTSF partition possiblities. It sounds alot like knoppix. The part that discouraged me was the about 1000 mb download for both disks. I know the first disk is the os, but what is on the 2nd disk?
Gnome, KDE & xFCE are much more than just 'skins' for linux, they are window manager programs just as 'Windows' is (or was, at least in its earlier versions) a window manager for MS's operating system. The big difference with Linux is that you can operate the system as a command line system which you cannot do with MS and you can mix & match window managers & other applications , for instance you can run KDE's 'Konqueror' on a Gnome or XFCE system.
Gnome & KDE are the 'heavyweights' with more features ( some call it 'bloat') than xFCE but XFCE also makes a very effective system. KDE and XFCE come with Knoppix but Gnome does not. (KDE is the system default).
I have not tried topologilinux but I'm guessing the second disk contains the large selection of applications almost all linux distros come with.
-
How do I run XFCE in Knoppix?
-
Senior Member
registered user
type "knoppix desktop=xfce" at the initial boot prompt. This is called a 'bootcode' or 'cheatcode'. Press f2 at the bootscreen to see what codes are available. They can be combined, for example "knoppix26 lang=us desktop=xfce" will boot using the 2.6 series kernel with the default language english (us) & using xfce as the desktop.
Similar Threads
-
By chaosnine in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-18-2005, 03:46 PM
-
By chakkaradeepcc in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-02-2005, 01:32 PM
-
By PeterW in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 06:40 AM
-
By ccwufu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2004, 06:40 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99