-
How To boot without CD after Poor Man's Install
I have an harddrive with 1.2GB as hda1 formatted as fat32.
I followed the Poor Man's Install and everything is ok.
I created a persistent home as image, i save my config.
Everything is ok, and running with cheatcodes:
knoppix home=scan myconfig=scan fromhd=/dev/hda1
but i'd want to boot from HD and not from CD, but i don't know how to configure the grub or the lilo.
Help me, please.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
see this:http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...HDInstallHowTo
it has tips about installing a toHD system.
To summarize:
use lilo. I'm assuming you have only one partition, hda1 (or hda1 plus a swap).
copy the directory /boot/isolinux from the cd to the hd.
you really only need the files /boot/isolinux/linux24, linux26, minirt24.gz & minirt26.gz.
Then edit /etc/lilo.conf add the following:
Code:
image=/mnt/hda1/boot/isolinux/linux24
label="Knoppix3.4-24"
append="lang=us fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=scan myconfig=scan apm=power-off"
initrd=/mnt/hda1/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz
read-only
image=/mnt/hda1/boot/isolinux/linux26
label="Knoppix3.4-26"
append="lang=us fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=scan myconfig=scan apm=power-off"
initrd=/mnt/hda1/boot/isolinux/minirt26.gz
read-only
If you have another o/s, add it too. a windows entry is usually
Code:
other=/dev/hda1
label="Windows"
table=/dev/hda
run lilo to install lilo to the mbr.
That's it, you should now be able to boot into your Knoppix.
If you are unable to edit /etc/lilo.conf because of the read only file system, copy it to /home/knoppix then run lilo with
lilo -c /home/knoppix/lilo.conf
-
Senior Member
registered user
Oops; sorry I think this should be:
Code:
image=/dev/hda1/boot/isolinux/linux24
and
initrd=/dev/hda1/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz
not
Code:
image=/mnt/hda1/boot/isolinux/linux24
initrd=/mnt/hda1/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain
Oops; sorry I think this should be:
...
Sorry but it's the other way around; eg the mnt entries are the correct ones. Note that hda1 needs to be mounted (eg on its default mount point /mnt/hda1) when running lilo. I advise to always run "lilo -v" and pay attention to the possible error messages.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
baldyeti

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain
Oops; sorry I think this should be:
...
Sorry but it's the other way around; eg the mnt entries are the correct ones. Note that hda1 needs to be mounted (eg on its default mount point /mnt/hda1) when running lilo. I advise to always run "lilo -v" and pay attention to the possible error messages.
Right. I thought of that also but haven't had time to correct myself yet.
Similar Threads
-
By Radfahrer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-07-2005, 04:29 PM
-
By gnarvaja in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-24-2005, 11:08 PM
-
By semreh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-15-2004, 10:07 AM
-
By j.drake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-29-2004, 07:51 AM
-
By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99