Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Sound Card Problems - SoundMax Cadenza (Intel 810)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2

    Sound Card Problems - SoundMax Cadenza (Intel 810)

    Hello everyone,

    I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux. I've fiddled around with Red Hat a few times, but I've barely scratched the surface. My knowledge of the command line is pretty weak. So...

    I'm running knoppix 3.6 (kernel v. 2.4.xx) from a cd on the following system:

    P4 2.53GHz
    Intel D845PEBT2 MOBO
    512MB DDR333
    SoundMax Cadenza Audio Chipset (Intel810)


    On initial boot, I could run xmms and play an mp3. The file would play, but there would be no sound. So I rebooted and entered the following arguments at the command-line:
    "knoppix alsa" to boot with alsa drivers.

    post msg's indicate the card is an Intel810 AC97 (which is correct, I believe)

    I then opened up the KDE Control Center to change the drivers to ALSA.

    After hitting "Apply" I recieved the following error:

    "Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device."


    A friend attempted to help me today, and we got close, the modules were installed, but we needed to reboot, and thats where things get even more complicated.

    The system hosting my knoppix install is a Windows XP Pro system with three hard-disks, all containing NTFS partitions. I realize knoppix cannot write to NTFS Partitions, and that Capture NTFS will allow knoppix to utilize the .ntfs drivers residing in my XPPro install. So I ran Capture NTFS to try and create a Persistent KNOPPIX Home Directory on my harddrive. A minute or two into the scan, Capture NTFS closes with no message.

    So I save my KNOPPIX config file to a floppy, hoping it'll read the configuration at the next boot, and log out anyway. I log back in, only to find the log file for that GAIM session is now gone (there goes my free advice) and that the soundcard still won't make a noise. Also, xmms no longer will play the mp3, it now throws an error up immediately.

    So I reboot with the floppy containing my config file, and it launches with the default config.

    I reboot again, trying the cmd-line arguments knoppix myconfig... and point it towards the floppy drive (i think), and that didn't work.

    I'm at a loss here, and I really want to get above water with Linux.

    Can someone help guide me through this??

    It would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,

    Jason

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2

    Still having trouble w/ SoundMax Cadenza... HELP!

    Have tried evrything, am now interested in the possibilty of this:

    edit rc.local
    modprobe snd-intel8x0
    insmod snd-intel8x0

    then adding rc.local to myconfig before saving myconfig to a floppy

    then reboot using this cmd:

    knoppix floppyconf (or floppyconfig) home=scan

    to load myconfig (including edited rc.local) from floppy and use Persistent Home Directory (2GIGS, vfat, formatted for linux filesystem) for boot.


    This sounds great in theory, but I'm really not skilled enough to pull this off on my own.


    HELP!

Similar Threads

  1. sound card problems
    By thummer in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 12:46 PM
  2. Sound Card Problems
    By vip3r in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 06:15 PM
  3. Sound card problems, please help!!!
    By jaredhanks in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 01:48 PM
  4. Gigafast 802.11b wireless card and Intel 865PERL MB sound
    By knewbex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 02:49 PM
  5. Sound card problems
    By chad5118 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 03:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



30 FS SFP-GB-GE-T | 1G 1000BASE-T SFP to RJ-45 Copper Transceiver | Lot of 30 | picture

30 FS SFP-GB-GE-T | 1G 1000BASE-T SFP to RJ-45 Copper Transceiver | Lot of 30 |

$350.00



2‑Pack SFP+ 10G BiDi BX‑U/BX‑D 1270/1330nm 10km | Cisco Compatible | ALVIRON picture

2‑Pack SFP+ 10G BiDi BX‑U/BX‑D 1270/1330nm 10km | Cisco Compatible | ALVIRON

$48.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00