Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Userlinux Live CD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228

    Userlinux Live CD

    A live demo that will allow you to test and demo bruce peren's project without installing it.

    More info on Userlinux here:

    http://userlinux.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

    The more RAM the better, 128M is probably the minimum that would work. Alex de Landgraaf (of the Morphix project) contributed the CD so it has a Morphix splash screen, but the UserLinux package selection. I found it an easy way to evaluate this interesting project with out installing.

    ISO downloadable from here:

    http://hams.com/Mirror/userlinux-live-0.2.iso

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I have looked at this a few times but apparently I just don't get it.
    What's different about it? From what I can tell it's only Debian Sarge with a crappy browser.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    I have just been playing around with Userlinux Live-CD
    in VMware and it seems OK except that I have never been a fan of gnome.

    It detects all of my hardware and virtual disks fine.
    Got the internet first time on a virtual NIC.

    I installed Firefox and Thunderbird and they worked great.
    I like the fact that it doesn't have all the extra programs
    that I don't use which made it a bit faster than knoppix.

    I like the way icons they used in open-office and other apps.

    The only real problem was the fact that there is no way to save the
    configuration other than installing to HDD which is why I like knoppix.

    A Live-CD the way I want it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I will admit that the most fun is comparing it to knoppix. I don't like gnome if given the choice of kde, but I can always apt-get install kde and take care of that (remaster if a live cd is prefered). It did not detect my wireless card and network. Does not have netcardconfig installed. The list goes on.

    All in all though, I think that this distro is worth a look. Some bugs are to be expected as it is a very new release, but the thing that keeps me interested is that it attempts to keep itself free from proprietary licensing (it is debian after all) but is trying to position itself in a niche to allow commercial support. Give away the OS and app platforms, and sell services.

    All in all, I thought it was forward thinking of them to release a live cd. I would never have had time to review it otherwise.

    My two cents, and worth every penny.

Similar Threads

  1. SB Live no sound with 4.0.2 live CD; SMP kernel's fault?
    By fwheeler_1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
  2. Live-CD
    By som in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 12:20 PM
  3. live cd
    By mak468 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 08:26 PM
  4. PHP with live CD
    By b_rimes in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 05:28 PM
  5. How to run AIM 1.5.286 from the live CD
    By EPS in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 09:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Lot of 5x SFP-10G-LR CISCO 10-2457-02 10GBASE-LR SFP+ Transceiver picture

Lot of 5x SFP-10G-LR CISCO 10-2457-02 10GBASE-LR SFP+ Transceiver

$75.00



LOT of 50 – Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver 10-2415-03 picture

LOT of 50 – Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver 10-2415-03

$180.00



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch

$175.00