Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Tiny menu text in Firefox under Knoppix HD Install!

  1. #1

    Tiny menu text in Firefox under Knoppix HD Install!

    I'm running a new Knoppix HD install (installed via "knoppix-installer" with "Debian-style"). My monitor resolution is set at 800x600 which is perfect for this old computer (Emachines Celeron 500 with a 32 meg Riva TNT2 card).

    Anyway, I loved to use Firefox under Windows, but it's impossible to use under Linux... I've already tried everything I can, but no luck. My problem? The text size for "File, Edit, View, etc" as well as the address line and so on (all of the text in Firefox) is incredibly, unreadably tiny!!

    I even had to change the fonts displayed in webpages to minimum size 20 so they appear normal. This problem is ONLY encountered in Firefox!

    There must be some setting hidden somewhere that can fix this! Everything else in my system runs perfectly at the 800x600 res. I'm using Konqueror to browse the net now (yuck!) because its menu text size is normal.

    Any help would be appreciated,
    Dave

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Isn't font size adjustable within Firefox, somewhere withing Edit Preferences?

    jd

  3. #3
    It is, but that affects only font sizes in viewed websites. My problem is that the text displaying the menus (File, Edit, etc) is tiny.

    I'm thinking that there must be a setting somewhere in X that I must change. This problem is not only in Firefox as I had believed, but also in programs such as GAIM. The basic menu text is very, very small. I even put the resolution down to 640x480 to see what would happen, and it was all still way too small! I thought it might just be with KDE, as well, but it's a problem in all window managers that I've tried.

    I've got two computers on my network, both dual-booting Linux. The weird thing is that my AMD 1200 with onboard video runs everything like a charm! I get problems only with this older machine.

    I'm learning more and more about Linux each day (each hour is more like it) but there's still so much to know! It's still better than the competition, though!

    Dave

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You could try something from kanotix:
    dselect update
    apt-get install msttcorefonts
    wget -c http://www.kanotix.com/files/fix-fonts.sh
    chmod +x fix-fonts.sh
    sh fix-fonts.sh

    Haven't tried this in Knoppix so disclaimer: Don't blame me

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    This worked for me:

    Edit / Preferences / General / Fonts & Colors / Display Resolution.
    Whatever the current setting in DPI is too small.
    Click on Other and increase setting there.
    I have mine set at 2.5 inches which increases the Font size global in Firefox.

Similar Threads

  1. Install Firefox in Knoppix
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 01:27 AM
  2. How to get firefox listed on the menu
    By iguy in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 09:06 PM
  3. Tiny Tiny Fonts???
    By ackelley in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 01:07 AM
  4. Tiny Knoppix HD install?
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 04:46 PM
  5. tip: how not lost knoppix menu after hd-install
    By Carlos_E_Morimoto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 08:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$325.99



VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8 picture

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8

$34.95



Vintage Seagate ST351A/X 43MB 3.5

Vintage Seagate ST351A/X 43MB 3.5" IDE XT/AT Hard Drive - Spins Up / Untested...

$57.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Color System Software 7.1 Floppy Disk Set 7 Disks  picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Color System Software 7.1 Floppy Disk Set 7 Disks

$15.00



VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC picture

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC

$24.95



Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS picture

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS

$224.99



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00