-
Senior Member
registered user
Shah, considering your response, I rethought the whole thing, seeing that I "force-fed" the new NVidia drivers into my system, through the stupid use of Synaptic Dist-Upgrade, I realized the reason why my GLX was not current, see previous post on the output of Synaptic - I forced the 1.05 drivers through the process that I have the link set to, previously, and they got "updated" to the new drivers, 1.0611, but not the GLX, it stayed back...
Your suggestion to "update" these drivers through the kernel source I already have, which ( appears ) to be untouched... ( and not knowing what "nvidia-installer" you are talking about ), I looked at my original "step-by-step" that I used to get NVidia working before...
Here is what I did, some of which may have been unnecessary, or repeated, but...
Code:
cd /usr/bin
ln -sf gcc2.95 gcc
cd /usr/src
apt-get update
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-source
tar zxvf nvidia-kernel-source.tar.gz
cd modules/nvidia-kernel
debian/rules KSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.6.6 KVERS=2.6.6 kdist_image
cd ..
dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-2.6.6_1.0.5336-6_i386.deb
apt-get install nvidia-glx
cd /usr/bin
ln -sf gcc-3.3 gcc
Since the new drivers of 1.06111 were already downloaded, and didnt work going through the NVidia installer ( sorry Champagne, it didnt work, and had to re-edit XF86Config-4 to point back to "nv" ), I changed the above dpkg command to point to the newer .deb package of drivers... After completion of the above steps, changed XF86 again, to point to "nvidia", and rebooted -=- PERFECTLY !!!!
So, the NVidia is fixed now, but, my Menus are messed up... I tried the "update menus" command, but it didnt change anything, I even tried the KMenu program "Menu Updating Tool" from within the v3.4 menus, it found a few "rougue" programs, but not all of them... I guess I am going to have to manually put them back in now... 
I also appear to have gotten services running that I never had before, all from this "mistake" of running the Dist-Upgrade... First of all, I have a "lone" computer, no net card, and no "server" responsibilities, but I have gotten HylaFax running now, a "good" side effect from this situation... But, looking at the boot-up, I am now starting "named", "NIS services", "ypbind", "apmd", and this is a serious boo-boo, "nvtvd"...
Here is now, what my system is looking at, or listening to, as far as ports, even though I think my firewall is "blocking" them:
[code]netstat -natu
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4559 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:815 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:953 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN
tcp6 0 0 ::1:953 :::* LISTEN
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:1024 0.0.0.0:*
udp 9120 0 0.0.0.0:812 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:631 0.0.0.0:*
udp6 0 0 :::1025 :::*
rpcinfo -p
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100007 2 udp 812 ypbind
100007 1 udp 812 ypbind
100007 2 tcp 815 ypbind
100007 1 tcp 815 ypbind[/cpde]
Comparing some of the ports from both outputs, I can tell that "ypbind" is doing the majority of them, and considering the serious amount of "updating" on my system that was done, this "portmapper" must be something new, but, not sure if it is appropriate for my system...
I think I need some help figuring out what I "need", and what I dont, here... When this Dist-Upgrade went through my system, I think it decided I need net card support, or is this from the HylaFax now??? ( did I become a "Fax Server", and this is what all this is for now??? )
If my outputs above are right, for using HylaFax, now, then, I can get used to seeing this, but, if this is for network cards, I dont got them, and cant see using "processor" time slices for not-needed processes....
On a good note: GLXGears is coming out with 284 FPS with the NVidia now
( cool )
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By Al Hayes in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
-
By UltraMega in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 03:34 AM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
-
By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RARE Vintage Chicony KB-5181 Mechanical Keyboard Monterey Blue SMK Switches
$65.00

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

READ - UNTESTED Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160 M4550 Vintage Laptop
$299.00

Vintage Dauphin DTR-1 Desktop Handheld Computer W/ Keyboard - OB19
$119.99

READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots
$850.00

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00

Vintage Magnetic Peripherals MPI BR8B1A 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive 77711800 CDC
$89.66