Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 103

Thread: HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts

  1. #81
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by kornetto
    @underscore: you are right. simply skipping this part does the job and i still have my symlinks on the LiveCD
    after trying that i succeeded with my first remastered Knoppix thanks your detailled HowTo.

    Thanx for that!
    kind regards from (in the meanwhile sunny) austria!
    /Christian
    I'm glad it worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by kornetto
    PS & Offtopic: Now, I just have to find a way of simply skipping out everything unneeded from my remaster.
    I plan to have a runlevel 2 only system housing apache, ftp, ssh and bridge. nothing else needed.
    any hint what is the fastest method to find out which packages I can drop? actually all kde, x11 stuff etc...
    In general, yes you can remove all the X11 & KDE packages. The removal of packages has been discussed in the past. I hope these are useful.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15614
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15529
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=62667#62667

  2. #82
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    I have made some remasterings with menu based scripts according UndeScores's how-to and everything seems fine!

    Anyhow, I have some problems as seen in .xsession-errors:

    Code:
    xauth:  creating new authority file /home/knoppix/.Xauthority
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writing
    /usr/X11R6/bin/iceauth:  creating new authority file /home/knoppix/.ICEauthority
    QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
    QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writing
    QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
    QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
    kbuildsycoca running...
    Link points to "/var/tmp/kdecache-knoppix"
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writing
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qtrc.tmp' for writing
    kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4: undefined symbol: init_keyboard_layout
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writing
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writing
    _IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writing
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writing
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writing
    kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x81b88d0 ): KAccel object already contains an act
    ion name "del"
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writing
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writing
    QSettings::sync: failed to open '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.tmp' for writiing
    I have used Knoppix 3.8.1 but have changed in /etc/apt/apt.conf "testing" to "sarge", and have updated everyting with 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

    I have changed owner of /tmp/.ICE.unix to root as should:
    Code:
    chown root:root /tmp/.ICE-unix
    chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
    but anyhow I got _IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root . What should be changed in remastering scripts so that owner and permissions are also OK in CD? I think that this and those other errors are not fatal but slows down starting KDE.

    Btw, I had also problems with KMIx which started automatically to the desktop (I would like it to stay in launch panel only). I just changed K menu -> Control Center -> KDE Components -> Session Manager to start always a new session when logging in. Is this OK? It really works!


    -tapsa-

  3. #83
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1
    Hi,

    I'm trying remastering kernel Knoppix 3.8.2, and I have a problem with UnionFS, I think. When I boot my iso, I see an error message over "CANNOT unite ramdisk" or something like that. Does anybody know to solve this problem? Have I to replace this module too? In "Knoppix custom kernel howto" I didnīt see anything about it.

    I had the same problem with Knoppix 3.9, but I supposed the reason was a buggy UnionFS, but now I think Iīm doing something wrong

    Best regards

    merakebas

  4. #84
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carson City, Nv. USA
    Posts
    4

    lang=us question

    Hi Folks,

    I have been using this howto, actually probably the same howto posted on the wiki. I seem to have run into a problem inbetween versions 3.7 and 3.8.2 and haven't been able to get past it so far. After having created the remaster image, booting with knoppix 2 lang=us, copying etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to .../remaster/etc/X11. Start the remaster script and chroot, then chmod on /tmp to 777, su to knoppix, and cd (home). Everything is great until the point where I startx, and it comes up in German. Exporting lang=us prior to startx doesn't help.

    I've got to be missing something dumb, could some kind soul please point it out?

    TIA,
    --glenn

  5. #85
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: lang=us question

    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho
    Everything is great until the point where I startx, and it comes up in German. Exporting lang=us prior to startx doesn't help.
    If I understood your question right, you don't have right locale settings in your remaster partition when starting X. Just copy /etc/sysconfig/i18n from you Knoppix CD to the same location in your remaster partition and check time zone (tzconfig).

    -tapsa-

  6. #86
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carson City, Nv. USA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks much for the quick reply.

    There was no /etc/sysconfig/i18n in the remaster, I copied it from the expanded cd. Now gdk complains local not supported by C library, kde is not supported. It looks like there may be some more files that need to be copied or something? I'll go through the howto after work, maybe I missed something since the change to 3.8.2...

    Thanks,
    --glenn

  7. #87
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21
    Hey, Thanks for the great scripts! They make it much easier. I used the script and all I want to do is add a directory to / called touchscreen. I chrooted into the remaster directory (using the GUI) and added the directory and put a README file in it just as a test. I ran the knoppix.mksortlist and the new directory was listed as `/touchscreen/README 90`. I created the compressed fs and then the ISO and burned the CD. When I boot the CD the directory is at /KNOPPIX/touchscreen not /touchscreen. Why is that happening and how can I get it to be in /touchscreen.

    Thanks

  8. #88
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4

    How to keep /home/myuser ?

    I am successfully using the script (1000 thanks to UnderScore) and built my own remaster.
    I created another user which is also successfully available then in the remastered version, but unfortunatly the home-folder is not there anymore.
    Therefore I receive an error-message when logging in with this user, saying that the home-folder cannot be found.
    I guess the /home/knoppix directory gets created on-the fly dynamically during boot up.
    Do I have to do the same for myuser?
    if yes, how?

    thank you in advance!
    /Christian

  9. #89
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21
    Yes the home directories get created in the linuxrc file located in the minirt24.gz or minirt26.gz depending on which kernel you are running. Chances are that you are running the minirt24. You have to copy the file somewhere, unzip it and them mount it as a loop file (mount -o loop minirt24 /mnt/somwhere... or something like that). Then edit the file to create the directoy and do the reverse. The file is in the Knoppix.master/boot/isolinux directory of the remaster.

  10. #90
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    _IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
    Okay, my solution was to add some lines in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig (lines 1223-1229 in Knoppix 3.8.1) after last "fi":

    Code:
    # Setting right permissions and owners to /tmp/.ICE-unix and /tmp/.X11-unix
    mkdir -p /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
    chown -R root:root /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
    chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix 2>/dev/null
    mkdir -p /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null
    chown -R root:root /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null
    chmod 1777 /tmp/.X11-unix 2>/dev/null
    This corrects that error message and KDE startx a little bit faster. Hope that this would be included in original Knoppix CD too.


    -tapsa-

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. remaster scripts require boot.img - none on Knoppix 3.6
    By acer0001 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 05:38 PM
  2. Remaster knoppix based
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 10:21 PM
  3. Remaster based on what version of knoppix?
    By Steve F in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:28 AM
  4. HOWTO:Duke Nukem 3D with CD-based Knoppix 3.2
    By bitey in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 09:05 AM
  5. Easy way to remaster?
    By rihad in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 06:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620 picture

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620

$325.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM picture

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM

$174.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD

$855.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99