Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Stuck in Lars environment

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    Stuck in Lars environment

    Well, I went playing around in desktop environments and now I cant get out of one. (I'm on an office compter now). the screen is totally gray with an X for a curser and in the bottom right corner there is a bracket with the letters {a b c d} and each one appears when you place the X over it. In the brackets next to that are {tcrsb} when I click on of those, it just changes the letter showing on the bracket to the left. How do I get out of here??? I want my kde wwwwaaaaaaa.

    any ideas of where I am and how to get out?

    thanx

    skip

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    stuck in LARSWM

    Hi Helios......I hear ya! Its happenedto me twice, which was enough to convince me that this has got to be the STUPIDEST windows environment there is. I dont know why they even include it in Knoppix cause it can probably be replaced with one that actually lets you get out! My advice is to just ignore it and use FLUXBOX or ICEWM which are very nice. If you get stuck in LARS, I have NO CLUE how to get out either! Just re boot and when you get to the login, go to where you choose your windows manager and pick SOMETHING ELSE!!!! bob

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Isn't it control alt F (something)?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    seems that I have complicated matters...

    because I am so stinkin lazy, I set it up for auto login...I hit control alt backspace about amillion times in a minute and it forced it into a text login. I then typed startx and it put me into kde with an 800x600 resolution. from here, I should be able to go in, cancel the auto login and reset it. Then change the environment and go from there. Who the f*** designed this Lars environment. I would like about 4 minutes alone to speak with them....alone

    thanx

    helios

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    stuck in LARSWM

    Hi Helios......I hear ya! Its happenedto me twice, which was enough to convince me that this has got to be the STUPIDEST windows environment there is. I dont know why they even include it in Knoppix cause it can probably be replaced with one that actually lets you get out! My advice is to just ignore it and use FLUXBOX or ICEWM which are very nice. If you get stuck in LARS, I have NO CLUE how to get out either! Just re boot and when you get to the login, go to where you choose your windows manager and pick SOMETHING ELSE!!!! bob

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    whats the point?

    I really do not think ANYONE uses lars.....ANYONE.....I did research a bit on web and it apparently was designed for low resource machines.....which is cool i guess but maybe its not a program but a cunning VIRUS!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1
    The simple answer to this problem is Ctrl+Alt+Shift+q This should shut down the larswm and get you back into the login screen. I know this is a late answer to a solved problem, but if it can help any future cases it should still be mentioned.

    HÃ¥vard

Similar Threads

  1. A GNU development environment
    By kynax in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 01:06 PM
  2. path environment
    By roustabout in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 12:54 PM
  3. Environment variables
    By kepler in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 06:04 PM
  4. How to configure the UTF-8 environment?
    By marat in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 11:39 AM
  5. WINE Environment Variables
    By Cowboy7704 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$33.94



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00



Trenz Electronic SFP to SMA Adapter Board PCB Module picture

Trenz Electronic SFP to SMA Adapter Board PCB Module

$105.00