Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection question

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection question

    Ok, here's the story: I just tried Knoppix 3.6 today on my old Windows 98 SE computer, and I got it running fine and everything. I try to load up the browsers they give me, but it just says "host not found," or something like that. I have a network between this computer and my XP one downstairs.. it's just a Microsoft LAN connection network thingy.

    ..how would I set the connection up with Linux?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    (I have this base, and this adapter).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Connections between windows & linux systems are done with 'samba'. Search this forum and/or google for setup howto's. Easiest way is to use 'Linneighbourhood' which comes with Knoppix. Here is a couple of links to get you started:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqNetwork
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection quest

    Hmmm. I just checked out your links, it appears you have a wireless connection. Linux support for these is not outstanding. (read between the lines...this might be a toughie)
    I have found a few links:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/222353
    http://tuxmobil.org/pcmcia_ci10500.html
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11937
    I can't help much, don't use wireless.
    Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Complete newbie question re Knoppix customisation
    By MattS in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 04:13 PM
  2. Complete newbie question re Knoppix
    By MattS in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
  3. Serious n00b question
    By gburke1 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:39 AM
  4. Complete newbie question i alcatel speedtouch usb.
    By wisbeech in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:32 PM
  5. Knoppix / Damn Small Linux PCMCIA network card question.
    By convert in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$594.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



4x Various Brands 8.5

4x Various Brands 8.5" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape 6250 CPI .5"

$24.99



Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art picture

Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art

$225.00



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$69.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Vintage ASUS  SPAX-M w/ Socket 7 AMD-K6-2 64MB SDRAM picture

Vintage ASUS SPAX-M w/ Socket 7 AMD-K6-2 64MB SDRAM

$79.96