Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: how do you format a hard drive from knoppix?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    how do you format a hard drive from knoppix?

    i'm using kernal 2.6, i can see my SATA hard drive, and i need to format it, but i'm a total linux virgin, and need told EXACTLY, STEP BY STEP what to do in order to format the drive. PLEASE HELP!

  2. #2
    I know it isn't a step-by-step solution (I'm not at a knoppix machine nor do I have the cd with me) and, though relatively new as well, I believe the program QTParted will do the job for you.

    It comes bundled with Knoppix--I'm assuming you have at least version 3.4 since you are using the 2.6 kernel--and to run it you can either search through the application menu or simply type in the Run Program dialogue the command "qtparted"

    I'm also guessing that your HD is already recognized by Knoppix and ready-to-mount. The program is relatively easy to use--simply choose the volume and partition type/size and you're ready to go. Please do remember that when you format a HD you lose all the data.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    To partition a drive isn't formating.

    I don't know, whether qtparted creates a filesystem on a partition.
    But before the filesystem is created, you cannot mount it.

    Code:
    fdisk /dev/DEVICE
    can be used for partitioning, where you choose Linux-Partion (nr 82).
    fdisk has interactive help, and will not do anything, if you don't write your changes (command: w), so you may harmlessly look how it works.

    After partitioning, a filesystem is created by
    Code:
    mkfs.FILESYSTEM /dev/DEVICE
    Without knowing SATA-drives, I don't want to guess around, how your DEVICE is named.
    And without knowing the FILESYSTEM (reiserfs, ext3, ...) - but perhaps you don't have an idea, which filesystem to choose, so I advice reiserfs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Qtparted auto formats after it partitions.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Hard Drive Format compatibility
    By Phr0stbyt3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:17 AM
  2. I can't format my hard drive, can i do it with knoppix?
    By johnnymoha in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 07:09 AM
  3. How can I format my hard drive?
    By welsh_boy01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 10:24 PM
  4. Can I format C drive with Knoppix?
    By janggu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 02:21 AM
  5. how do i format a SATA drive from knoppix
    By likwid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$239.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00