-
Senior Member
registered user
How to write to other linux partitions.
When I try to save or move or copy something to another partition it tells me access denied: Access denied to /mnt/hda7/filename. All my other partitions are either a linux type or fat32 for the windows OS's. I thought I could just go ahead and do all that without any problems. I guess I'm asking how to get access to write to the other partitions. Thank you.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sounds like your other partitions are owned & accessable to root only, this is almost for sure the case for anything other than the /home/user directory in the other linux partition. Try making the copy as root. If this works, perhaps the easiest way to deal with this would be to run Konqueror as root (just drag'n'drop the konqueror icon from the start menu to the desktop then edit so that the application to run is 'kdesu kfmclient...' . You will need a root password to run it.
The more 'proper' way would be to edit fstab & set umask so the partition is mounted with user read/write permissions (see man mount). Run as root konqueror is much easier.
-
hi, I have the same problem and I think this is because all partitions (except ramdisk) are mounted as "read only". may be you should remount them with right permisions. If you succeed, please, share your experience.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I had to edit the fstab on the partition that boot lilo. For me that was hda3. Kanotix uses grub to boot so I know it was not hda2. I actually changed fstab on the wrong partition first and nothing happened. Only after I changed the fstab in the correct partition did these changes apply.
This is what my new fstab looks like:
/etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda3 / reiserfs defaults,users,rw,exec,umask=000 0 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,users,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip vfat defaults,rw,noauto,users,noatime,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,rw,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat users,rw,exec,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 reiserfs rw,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 auto noauto,rw,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 auto noauto,rw,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 auto noauto,rw,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 auto noauto,rw,users,exec 0 0
Now I can move files anywhere, even to my windows partitions. They are fat32 and not ntfs.
Thanks Crashed.
Similar Threads
-
By Refugee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 12-31-2004, 04:21 AM
-
By fairchdr in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 9
Last Post: 11-06-2004, 03:40 AM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 02:17 PM
-
By lilpaul in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
-
By green_man in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-23-2004, 01:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent
$175.00

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade
$36.99

OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576
$26.99

New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6" Battery 11.25V 41Wh 3467mAh G91J0 MGCM5
$44.95

NEW OEM Dell Latitude 5330 5430 5530 7330 7430 7530 41W Laptop Batt M69D0 51R71
$104.45