Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: alias entry disappears between boots

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38

    alias entry disappears between boots

    I want to use an alias for ndiswrapper (every character I type is one more chance for an error<<<GG>>>)

    I type .... alias zz=''modprobe ndiswrapper' and the entry is displayed with

    alias -p. It also works when I type zz. However after a re-boot the entry is no longer in the list. What am I missing ??

    Thanks

    Ted in Atlanta

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I add aliases to ~/.bashrc but if you're booting to live cd then that probably won't work but you could script 'modprobe ndiswrapper' and it would get ran at boot time.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38

    alias entry disappears between boots

    I have posted in /etc/bashrc where all of the aliias entries are listed. They won't stay over a reboot. There are no alias entries in my /.bashrc file.... just some one cryptic LINUXese.... This doesn;t work on Knoppix 3.4 or 3.7 so I am missing something.

    Ted in Atlanta

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Sounds like you did a Knoppix or beginner type install instead of a Debian type install. In that case I *think* it overwrites any changes you make to certain files like /etc/bashrc.

    Why not simply make a script? For example:

    Code:
    echo modprobe ndiswrapper > zz
    chmod +x zz
    su
    mv zz /usr/sbin
    Then you can simply run your script from wherever you like.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38

    alias entry disappears between boots

    mzilikazi

    Thanks for the code.... I'll sure give it a try. This incident is just another example of the vagaries of LINUX. It is really frustrating to receive code and/or suggestions that work that work for one system and flops on another...

    FWIW... I used knoppix-installer on both 3.4 and 3.7 selecting choice 3 which supposedly is the Debian installl

    Thanks again

    Ted in Atlanta

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    The aliases are at the end of /etc/profile where you can add your own as well.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: alias entry disappears between boots

    Quote Originally Posted by GaTk
    mzilikazi

    Thanks for the code.... I'll sure give it a try. This incident is just another example of the vagaries of LINUX.
    It is really frustrating to receive code and/or suggestions that work that work for one system and flops on another...
    It's a common misconception that Linux is an operating system. It is not. It's a kernel. Debian GNU Linux is an operating system that uses the Linux kernel and what works on Debian may very well not work on Red Hat.

    I also see the same issues in windows. One system gets the latest updates no problem while another system identical in hardware and OS version cannot seem to complete the updates without some coaxing or tweaking. I would also rather suffer the trivial difficulties associated with Linux then the multitude of problems that follow M$ around. There are no pieces of spyware, no viruses and no trojans on my Linux boxes. I do not download windows freeware, install any windows apps that I do not check out 100%, never open attatchments and yet the windows boxes get malware on them. Well......this post is not about windows versus Linux and I do not intend on making it so.

    It is really frustrating to receive code and/or suggestions that work that work for one system and flops on another...
    ~/.bashrc is a user specific configuration file. Anything you add to /etc/profile is systemwide. I do not know why it doesn't work for you - it does for me on all of my boxes.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: alias entry disappears between boots

    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    ~/.bashrc is a user specific configuration file. Anything you add to /etc/profile is systemwide.
    You're right, never actually gave it much thought as I like having my own aliases for root + all users.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38
    BINGO !!! etc/profile does it ,,,after a reboot... the new additions work and
    now appear with alias -p. You gurus continue to amaze me with your knowledge/experience but I hope you understand the wide variations from one distro to the other constantly drive us novices NUTS !!!

    Thanks

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by GaTk
    I hope you understand the wide variations from one distro to the other constantly drive us novices NUTS !!!

    Thanks
    Well quit messing about with those other unworthy distros and just use Debian. You'll not be sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. KPPP Data Entry
    By dno in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 12:04 AM
  2. GRUB entry for Knoppix
    By michael7 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 12:43 PM
  3. Captive-NTFS just disappears when I try to use it.
    By OldPueblo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 05:44 PM
  4. My DSL connection disappears after shutdown.
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 03:20 PM
  5. Problem - boots, boots.....and so
    By j0x in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00