-
Sound: "No such device" with Debian. It worked wit
I have a two different PC's with differend sound card in them and I am running Debian Sarge which I did install with Knoppix 3.6. Afther that I did update, upgrade and dist-upgrade. My kernel is 2.4.27.
Even the Knoppix CD itself give the same error as below with GnomeMeeting
However Xine and AudaCity do play sound on the cards, I can't get the sound cards to work with GnomeMeeting because ALSA gives problems.
At the startup of KDE I get an error message:
Informational - artsmessage
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
Because Xine and AudaCity work the cards are OK and recognized by Debian. Only ALSA seems to have problems with the detection of the card and so has GnomeMeeting because is wants to use ALSA.
Soundcardconfig detects the sound card and writes the new config file. Even after a reboot ALSA does not work and login in as root does not help.
Modinfo soundcore gives:
filename: /lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o
description: "Core sound module"
author: "Alan Cox"
license: "GPL"
With google and other websites I could not find any solution......
How can I use GnomeMeeting with Debian?
NB. My previous RedHat installation with this sound card did work perfect with GnomeMeeting, so it must be a Debian problem.
Because of my preference for Debian, I do not want to switch back to RedHad.
Tnx! gooz
Similar Threads
-
By jcdecode in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
-
By sakiZ in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 10:34 AM
-
By ihcnut in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-26-2004, 09:26 PM
-
By xSauronx in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 03:59 PM
-
By YuXeL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:48 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL
$169.00

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$749.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00