-
Receive Fax daemon
I will install Knoppix on the hard disk.
I need to run some fax utility at boot time that will:
1. Receive incoming faxes.
2. Store incoming faxes.
3. Allow me to get a copy of the incoming faxes using scp.
Can you recommend some application/utility in Knoppix that is good at doing this?
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Not quite sure about this, I have been working on a similar issue....
HylaFax - it runs a deamon, I see it during the boot text, that it is starting the deamon...
Even though this package does use the "background" processes, what doesnt use "something" else, and is a "front-end" to other things ( ? ), but, hylafax uses the background processes faxgetty, and I think faxsend, or something like that...
Here is the man page ( s ) for HylaFax:
Code:
NAME
HylaFAX - introduction to HylaFAX server operation and file formats
DESCRIPTION
HylaFAX is a system for sending and receiving facsimile. It supports
queued transmission and asynchronous reception of facsimile. Ancillary
programs are invoked by the system for flexibility and configurability.
HylaFAX includes client and server programs to support remote submis-
sion of jobs for transmission, remote removal of queued jobs, and to
remotely query the status of jobs queued for transmission. This docu-
ment describes the organization of the filesystem spooling area in
which HylaFAX server and server-related processes operate, and intro-
duces the various files that reside in the spooling area.
OVERVIEW
The spooling area is typically located under the directory
/var/spool/hylafax. Ancillary command scripts used by the server pro-
grams faxq(8), faxsend(8), pagesend(8), and faxgetty(8) are located in
the bin subdirectory. Configuration, access control, and accounting
information are maintained in the etc and config subdirectories. Out-
going jobs are described by files in the sendq subdirectory, while
received facsimile are deposited in the recvq subdirectory. The docq
and temp subdirectories are also used in the preparation of outbound
jobs; the latter holds files that may be freely purged while the former
holds client files that may reside on the server independent of an
associated job. The doneq subdirectory holds jobs that have completed
but have not yet been purged or archived. On systems with job archival
support, completed jobs that have been archived are placed in the
archive subdirectory. The pollq subdirectory holds documents that are
available for polled retrieval from the server. The info subdirectory
contains files that describe the capabilities of facsimile machines
that HylaFAX has called-this information is used in preparing documents
for transmission. The status subdirectory contains files that server
processes write their current status to. The log subdirectory contains
logging information about send and receive sessions. The client subdi-
rectory contains FIFO special files used for communication with faxq.
Hopefully, this helps
-
Ok Thanks, I am looking into this.
It is not on the Knoppix package list.
Anyone tested this on Knoppix?
-
Senior Member
registered user
OOPS 
Sorry, it is not included with Knoppix, I got it through an apt-get install
So, if you are running off the Live CD, it may not work for you, not sure if it is available through klik either -=- I run a hard drive install, so I am not familiar with the klik or whats available with it...
-
Senior Member
registered user
I believe Knoppix comes with efax and/or efax-gtk if I'm not mistaken. Surely you can try that utility?
HTH,
Durand
-
Fax Server?

Originally Posted by
Durand Hicks
I believe Knoppix comes with efax and/or efax-gtk if I'm not mistaken. Surely you can try that utility?
HTH,
Durand
I've been looking into making my live non-hdd-install UnionFS 3.8 a fax server -- similar to the PDFservice shared printer.. but I've surprisingly found very little in terms of support.. everything I've looked at, including Hylafax and efax, seems dauntingly complicated to configure... especially when you consider "advanced" features like distinctive ringing... seems like would be a feature more people would be interested in having straight from bootup...
I mean, in the light of how support for these various features were dropped from other competing operating environments, wouldn't it be great to pop knoppix in, fire up samba, and bingo you have a PDF writer, a network fax, and... say..mass storage? Sure as heck sounds a Knoppix-type job if ever I saw one!
Similar Threads
-
By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-21-2005, 10:25 PM
-
By markraem in forum Networking
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-07-2004, 03:11 PM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 04-04-2004, 05:40 AM
-
By grayman999 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-07-2004, 03:57 PM
-
By Douglas_D in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR
$1100.00