Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Modem Only Works for Root

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65

    Modem Only Works for Root

    Logged in as Root I have no problem using my dial-up modem to connect to the internet. But as user, I have to first 'SU' then 'insmod pctel' and 'insmod ptserial' before I can use the modem. How can I can access the modem directly without having to 'SU'?

    (Knoppix 3.6 Harddrive Install)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    Sorry if i have an answer to your problem but just a questio

    Sorry if i have an answer to your problem but just a question...
    how do you installed the modem driver? When i try it tell me have no write permission!?
    Any clue please?
    Regards
    Alessandro


  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    Sorry if i have an answer to your problem but just a question...
    how do you installed the modem driver? When i try it tell me have no write permission!?
    Any clue please?
    It was not easy... (I am a newbie.) My modem is not only a winmodem but a cnr modem. I am surprised it worked under Linux. All I can say is I did a lot of searching in these forums and finally got it to work. But that was weeks ago and I do not remember exactly how I did it. Sorry.

Similar Threads

  1. Dialup: works from CD or as root, not otherwise
    By RobertB in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:17 PM
  2. Firefox only works for root
    By lionel47 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 07:50 PM
  3. Sound card works as root but not as regular user
    By sgs9198 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
  4. kppp only works for root and knoppix
    By bilzer in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 05:44 AM
  5. User can Ping but can't Dig - Root works fine - any help?
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$180.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$33.94



HPE B-series 16Gb SFP+ QK724A Pull Tab Optical Transceiver picture

HPE B-series 16Gb SFP+ QK724A Pull Tab Optical Transceiver

$10.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99