-
orinoco gold after apt-get update? pump? start cmd exited
I finally got my Toshiba Portege 3480CT working with a HD install of knoppix 3.6 and the orinoco gold card was working fine, and still does when I boot from the cd. First few reboots after the HD install it still worked but now does not. I surfed around these forums and found other people with these problems, seems some received them after apt-get update? Which could very well be what I'm doing, I know I did the update but I can't recall if that's when I first couldn't get the card to work again. When booting I get this:
cardmgr [419]: starting, version is 3.2.5
cardmgr [419]: socket 0: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter
cardmgr [419]: executing: 'modprobe hermes'
cardmgr [419]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco'
cardmgr [419]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs'
cardmgr [419]: executing: './network start eth0'
cardmgr [419]: + iwconfig eth0 essid "banelap"
cardmgr [419]: +Sample private network setup
cardmgr [419]: + /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
cardmgr [419]: + /sbin/pump -i eth0 > /dev/null
then after a few other commands different colors, usb firewire video and partitions detection
Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. (Backgrounding)
(i dont know if this conflicts with the cardmgr?)
then for some reason:
(Re)starting PCMCIA services.
cardmgr[1028]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: Device or resource busy
cardmgr[419]: + Operation Failed.
cardmgr[419]: start cmd exited with status 1
If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated. If anyone has questions about how to get X running with this laptop or a Savage/IX I now know how to do it. (kinda) so send an email if you need help
-
Senior Member
registered user
See my post 'Networking works...then it doesn't'. Exactly the same problem. Workaround should be to stop knoppix-hd-config from attempting to restart the netcard.
file is /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-config, find the appropriate section & cahnge to read as follows:
Code:
if [ -n "$STARTPCMCIA" ]
then
echo "[1;33m(Re)starting PCMCIA services.[0m"
# killall cardmgr 2>/dev/null && sleep 4
echo "restarting cardmgr..."
cardmgr -v && sleep 4
fi
Another problem you may bump into: Samba was set to autostart as part of runlevel 5 services. When I first tried this workaround, the system froze trying to start smbd. So use sys-v-edit & remove samba from the services autostarted in runlevel first.
Hope somebody can help out with a better solution on this one.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I think I am seeing same problem. But I am running off the CD (or using PMI WiPartition). So I can't edit knoppix-hd-config file. How can I achieve same result when running off the CD?
-
the above code into /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-config didn't work still getting same errors
any other suggestions? thanks for the help
-
is this also a problem in any other versions of knoppix? I'm willing to download an older version, does anyone have working links to older versions what will allow the use of apt-get update?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Rubane
the above code into /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-config didn't work still getting same errors
any other suggestions? thanks for the help
test where the problem is actually occurring:
near the end of /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, insert the following:
ping -c 5 216.239.57.99
If this pings OK, net is working OK at this point. (216.239.57.99 is google)
Now insert the same line at the end of /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-config or at the beginning of mountall.sh which is what runs next.
If this ping fails, the problem is in knoppix-hd-config. Post your knoppix-hd-config.
This is not a Knoppix version problem, it is an individual computer hardware setup issue. I did not have the problem (knoppix 3.4) until recently, it was no doubt something I did but I'm not sure what. I have a habit of fiddling until it's broken!
Similar Threads
-
By genius21 in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-17-2005, 06:42 PM
-
By fluppel in forum Networking
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 06:43 PM
-
By xenoxaos in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:54 PM
-
By probono in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-08-2003, 11:42 PM
-
By tslewe in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00