I also realise that my problem is related to the grub/ntfs post here
so i guess this is part of a bigger problem to allow other windows users to run knoppix without installing.
never the less, my quest continues.
Hello all.
After being asked to fix a bunch of elderly machines, the main problem I faced is that many of them have very small harddrives, ie < 3GB, - many second hand machines suffer from this.
therefore I guess the best option would be to have a PMI booting from lilo, leaving as much of the rest of the drive as possible for user files.
I have found this current thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13805 which seems unresolved. I am surprised that now that Knoppix is so advanced, this matter has not been definitivley documented, or failing that an extra option to the knoppix installer capable of adding boot options such as vesa, home and config.
I have also seen posts on the VIA website of people not being able to cf boot on the new Via Eden M11 itx board due to a lack of supporting bios, and my idea is to resolve this by using a 64M IDE DOM flash module for lilo and kernel, booting to a PMI on a 1G cf card or microdrive in the attached slot. (a low power, non mechanical, completley silent option.)
I am interested in reserching this, so after recently purchasing the above components, I am working on this now, Any help would be greatly appriciated as although I have spent time working with knoppix since last year, im still low down on the learning curve (not very bright i guess).
I also realise that my problem is related to the grub/ntfs post here
so i guess this is part of a bigger problem to allow other windows users to run knoppix without installing.
never the less, my quest continues.
Outanet,
Is there a reason why you want to use LILO rather than GRUB?
The grub/ntfs topic you mentioned, which ultimately resulted in an updated PMI 'How to' in the documents section, does have the necessary info to get PMI booting from grub via any Windows machine. What is more - it works!
I have it running on Windows 98 into a 4GB partition, but the partition could be a lot smaller. It just happens to be set that way.
ICPUG

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$180.00
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$34.94
Genuine Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU5M 10GBASE-CU SFP+ DAC Copper Twinax Cable 5M 16.4ft
$10.99
HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001
$14.90
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99