Quote Originally Posted by Lex
the same errorrs on the real PC

It seems like mount does not want to create a RamDisk
Here is a new diff:

Code:
--- linuxrc.orig        2003-07-26 13:10:09.000000000 +0200
+++ linuxrc     2003-07-26 13:48:21.000000000 +0200
@@ -235,7 +235,31 @@
 insmod -f /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
 mountit /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX "-o ro" || FOUND_KNOPPIX=""
 fi
-
+
+ COPYTORAM="yes" # yes we want to copy it
+
+ # CopyToRam ?
+if  test -n "$COPYTORAM";
+then
+  # Pre-test if everything succeeded.
+  if test -n "$FOUND_KNOPPIX"
+  then
+    # copy library cache
+    cat /KNOPPIX/etc/ld.so.cache > /etc/ld.so.cache
+    echo ""
+
+    echo "Copying /cdrom to RamDisk, this will take a while ..." # Hey, we could use some fancy dialog skript here :-))
+    /bin/mkdir /cdrom2
+    /bin/mount -t tmpfs -o size=800M /dev/shm /cdrom2
+    /bin/cp -a /cdrom/* /cdrom2 # Copy everything to /cdrom2; yes we need more things then only the KNOPPIX image, we don't want to produce problems we hadn't before, do we ?
+    umount /KNOPPIX # unmount it
+    rmmod cloop # release CD
+    umount /cdrom  # unmount CD
+    insmod -f /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom2/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
+    mountit /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX "-o ro" || FOUND_KNOPPIX="" # if everything else did suceeded so far, this will hopefully succeed too
+  fi
+fi
+
 # Final test if everything succeeded.
 if test -n "$FOUND_KNOPPIX"
 then
@@ -257,6 +281,13 @@
 # From here, we should have all essential commands available.
 hash -r

+# Did we copy from ram ?
+if  test -n "$COPYTORAM";
+then
+  rmdir /cdrom
+  ln -s /cdrom /cdrom2 # make a symlink and go on to normal boot
+fi
+
 # Clean up /
 rm -rf /modules /static
I also uploaded necessary files and an boot.img for 06-06 and earlier (I know its deprecated, but I don't have newer version atm) to:

http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/RamPatch/

You can get linuxrc also form there.

I tested everything except the copying, as I don't have that much RAM.

cu

Fabian

PS: I'm awaiting your results. VMWare test is fine [/code]